project Dads final trip

nckrawler

hey all my dad/best friend died oct 11,2010 ive struggled figuring out what to do and tonight i had this crazy idea as it is 4:00a.m. here on the east coast my dad always wanted to retire buy an rv and travel around the U.S.A. well he retired and kept working he died at 46 never got a chance to travel ive been building my pathfinder for about a year now although its not much compared to others on this site because its my dd but when i finish i plan on taking a trip with my dad from the coast where i live in NC across america to california i plan on documenting the trip and visiting as many ohv parks as possible along the way make a youtube documentary and hopefully run into some of the guys here along the way

Sorry to hear about your dad, man, 46 is way too young. That sounds like a great plan, though. Do it while you're still young and have the time/resources. The important thing is to enjoy life now!

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to hear that specially with him being so young. Just throwing it out there out here in the west we dont have ohv parks, we just go ha ha. You should make your way to utah thou we have a lot to offer here, Hit up yellowstone on your way too.

@NCKrawler:

hey all my dad/best friend died oct 11,2010 ive struggled figuring out what to do and tonight i had this crazy idea as it is 4:00a.m. here on the east coast my dad always wanted to retire buy an rv and travel around the U.S.A. well he retired and kept working he died at 46 never got a chance to travel ive been building my pathfinder for about a year now although its not much compared to others on this site because its my dd but when i finish i plan on taking a trip with my dad from the coast where i live in NC across america to california i plan on documenting the trip and visiting as many ohv parks as possible along the way make a youtube documentary and hopefully run into some of the guys here along the way

I just took two weeks off and did pretty much what you're suggesting. It was totally worth it and I'm glad I did it. I posted a bit about it here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33533-2-week-solo-cross-country-trek/.

it takes some time to figure out the major details (target cities, activities in each area, how long to stay, camp/hotel, right balance of food, gear, entertainment, communications), but the small details take care of themselves. Some basic planning questions to get you started 9you don't have to answer here, just food for thought):

1. Solo trip or who's coming with you? --> Can shorten or extend the amount of time you need to complete the trip

2. How long do you have (2 wks, month, 3 months)? --> Impacts how much it will cost and how much you're away from work (not earning)

3. Do you know people in other places that you can/want to meet up with (can help with supplies, places to stay, places to go)? --> Can make things fun, possibly cheaper, but adds to having to think about their schedules, etc.

4. What's your comfort (skill and budget) for maintenance & repair? --> helps determine how much to take with you like spare parts & tools vs. budget for savings and have a shop patch up.

I got a lot of help from this forum planning my trip, so keep posting if you decide to go....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that but cool way to celebrate his life...I've driven back and forth to ca several times...i40 is a pretty direct route out but I haven't really done any wheeling between nc and ut but def recommend some stops

Grand canyon

Vegas

Moab

Redwood Forrest (general Sherman)

calico is pretty cool and right off 40, I met steve from rugged rocks there for a weekend wheeling trip

Hollister hills is about 4 hrs north of calico and pretty cool

There's lots of stuff in so cal and AZ I lived in cal city so red rock canyon had a cool trail called last chance canyon that took u up to some old miner camp and burro Schmidt's tunnel. Lots of roads and small hole in the wall places from randsburg to dove springs