Help me with this noise... PLEASE!

It's more like a groaning noise. It is ONLY when the wheel is FULLY turned to the left or FULLY turned to the right. I started noticing it this past winter, but it is possible it has been doing this for longer.

most definately the power steering pump, its using a lot of pressure to do that, its fairly typical with nissans, you could try doing a drain and refill on your fluid, it MAY alleviate it, but i think you just need more mud on it :laugh:

• Like 2

Yeah, siphon & fill the power steering fluid reservoir using a turkey baster or some sort of suction tool and refill with synthetic ATF. Do this several times with a couple days of driving in between till you use up a quart or two of ATF, then repeat once every third oil change or something to help keep the fluid fresh and evacuate some wear material.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

Yeah, siphon & fill the power steering fluid reservoir using a turkey baster or some sort of suction tool and refill with synthetic ATF. Do this several times with a couple days of driving in between till you use up a quart or two of ATF, then repeat once every third oil change or something to help keep the fluid fresh and evacuate some wear material.

Thanks! I'll do this ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, new to the forum.

Was just reading through the topics, and I can add something here: I've seen this before. Not on my Pathy but other car, it's related to a pressure relieve valve attached to the power steering pump. When the steering hits the limiter - right or left, the pressure in the system rises rapidly and this valve opens to allow excess oil to run back to the reservoire, or whatever it is called. Sometimes the valve makes those funny noises, have it checked and/or cleaned.

I hope that helps.

Edited by chefo