cruise control question

ahardb0dy

The buttons for the cruise control on the steering wheel on my 94 only work when the steering wheel is in certain positions, the horn also. Sometimes I can get the cruise to come on if I put pressure on certain areas of the steering wheel too. I pulled the steering wheel off and cleaned the contacts on the column and on the back of the steering wheel but still doesn't always work.

Was wondering if it would be possible to use the turn signal mounted cruise control from an older PF/hardbody on the newer style PF and remove the cruise control buttons all together??

Thanks

U can just replace the lil copper contacts in the clock spring....or find my write up about spacing the clock ring...pull the back cover of the steering wheel off and I bet there's shavings everywhere...my cruise stopped then my horn stopped....

when I first pulled the steering wheel there was like copper looking powder everywhere, I cleaned everything and cleaned the 3 rings on the back of the st wheel, I tried lubricating the rings with dielectric grease but horn wouldn't work at all so I removed it again and cleaned it again and put the st wheel back on with no lube and still doesn't work. I tried spacing the plastic part that has the 3 rings on it out so it would make better contact with the copper pins and that didn't work either.

if I jump the horn pin to the shaft the steering wheel sits on the horn works fine, so it isn't making contact with the pics I guess. Next time I go to the junkyard will look for a new steering wheel.

when I first pulled the steering wheel there was like copper looking powder everywhere, I cleaned everything and cleaned the 3 rings on the back of the st wheel, I tried lubricating the rings with dielectric grease but horn wouldn't work at all so I removed it again and cleaned it again and put the st wheel back on with no lube and still doesn't work. I tried spacing the plastic part that has the 3 rings on it out so it would make better contact with the copper pins and that didn't work either.

if I jump the horn pin to the shaft the steering wheel sits on the horn works fine, so it isn't making contact with the pics I guess. Next time I go to the junkyard will look for a new steering wheel.

There is a pretty low mileage 95 here in the local Pick n Pull. One of the things it still has left that some idiot has not broken off yet is the steering wheel. I could snag that ring if you need one next time I'm out there.

Edited by Trogdor636

I don't think there is a clock spring in the 94, I've pulled a steering wheel off of a Jeep TJ and I saw what the clock spring looks like and the warnings involved when removing one. THe PF does not appear to have this part.

Today I pulled the st wheel from my pathfinder and checked the continuity from the rings on the back of the St wheel and the tabs the plug connects to under the horn button, some spots had continuity others did not so I sanded the rings down and now have continuity all the way around the 3 rings.

Put the st wheel back in the truck and I get nothing. It appears the 3 copper contacts are not sticking out far enough ?? So I un screwed the part with the 3 rings and pushed it closer to the 3 copper pins and than the horn works.

I found 3 spacers and put them between the plastic part with the rings and the rear of the steering wheel and the horn and cruise work fine but the spacers I used I think are too long, so heading to hardware store to see if I can find shorter spacers. The st wheel with the spacers I used the first time also seem to make the st wheel harder to turn.

So if I can get shorter spacers and the horn still works going to put some dielectric grease on the rings to see if that helps.

Ok, all is working now. Went up to the hardware store to get some spacers but the guy working there had another idea, he suggested 5/16 OD copper tube and than I could cut the spacers any length I wanted too, so he sold me a half a foot which as he said would give me more than enough in case I messed up.

I cut 3 spacers about 1/4 " long and put them between the plastic part with the rings and the back of the steering wheel and I also put some dielectric grease on the rings, horn and cruise work perfectly and steering wheel turns easily.

• 1 year later...