OPINION PLEASE

918pathy

What is a better way to go for me to learn automotive? Would going to a tech school like UTI, worth it? or would I be better off going to a community college automotive program?

I'd say it depends how far you want to go with it and what your end goal is. If you want to be a career mechanic/race crew then go to the tech school. If you just want to learn the basics to make you somewhat competent, then I'd say community college. The CC would also be a good starter course before a tech school if you have very little knowledge to begin with. Then there is also location and cost to consider...

Others will chime in, but I think you need to give a little more info to get a more useful answer.

B

I think the best way to learn is to just do it but school couldnt hurt.

Yep. That's how I've been learning. In my driveway with a little help from my Haynes manual and a little help from the wonderful instructors at NPORA.

Find a local, non-chain family owned/ran small shop that don't mind you hanging out. Hell, grab a broom as well and show you have initiative to want to learn.

In high school I attended a tech school as a 1/2 day thing, I pretty much learned many ways I can hide to sleep :shrug:

If you're serious I could ask about you working at my buddy's shop. I think that experience trumps certs unless you are going to work for a dealership. If you're interested, send me a text after you read this.

Find a local, non-chain family owned/ran small shop that don't mind you hanging out. Hell, grab a broom as well and show you have initiative to want to learn.

All for this since my cosin did this and still works at the same place he did in high school. He did go too a tech school later on though, while still working at the same shop. His boss, is acutally pretty cool too. I've meet him before. But, yes theres a big BUT in this. It is getting harder and harder too fine family owned shops and the owners could be dicks.

While if you go too school for this (hell, wal-mart wants people that have deploymas from tech schools) you know what your getting but most jobs right out of school dont pay that much more then working your way up and you have something too show for your time.

Thats my .02 on this subject.

I think it depends what you want to do. I think you should try an automotive class at local college. See if it is something you will be interested in . Working in a local shop might be a good idea for you also, if the opportunity is available. I grew up in a family shop (slave labor) so I was able to get a job at a car dealer at 18. I was lucky and given the opportunity to get my smog cert and multi.others certs before I even graduated high school. After I worked in a dealer for a couple years I decided I did not want to work on cars the rest of my life. So I went to college. I am just rambling on, but you always have options. Good luck.

I spoke to Koveman friends that owns a shop, and he is willing to train me from the ground up as a apprentice, and I am really stoked about it, cant wait to start learning. Thank you so much for that Koveman it is very much appreciated, again thank you, and thanks to all that responded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good on ya KovemaN, and congrats to 918pathy. Makes me glad to see people still care about one another these days, and that the shop owner is willing to take on someone who may or may not turn out to be a worthy investment of his time (no offense 918), all for the sake of passing on well learned knowledge.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

I was not sure what my buddy would say when I asked him, but he seemed happy to have the opportunity to train a new employee. I was pretty excited myself when he told me it was a go. I could hardly wait to call to let 918pathy know the good news.

I've known the guy for a long time and his shop is the only place I will take my trucks when I need something done that I can't get to. His logo sticker also has the most prominent spot on my rear window. Top and center.

I am very grateful for Bryan at Auto Motion for giving me this chance, he is a really great guy, and very good at what he does. I very thankfull to have a chance to trained by some as skilled as him.... Koveman I have a shop sticker on my truck, and it like gave my truck 50 more HP...LOL :laugh:

Edited by 918pathy