Headliner Replacement

vmodi

It seems I may have to put in a new interior headliner. :(

Seems some water might have come in from the sunroof. And possibly mold in between the headliner and the sheet metal.

Some questions:

1. Any ideas on where to get a headliner?

2. Do they still make them for 1998 R50?

3. How hard/easy is it to DIY?

4. Should I go to a shop to get it done?

5. If I go to a shop how expensive might it be?

Thanks!

Replacement OEM headliner is in the vicinity of $265 at Courtesy Parts. I don't know anything else about headliners, sorry.

Unclog your sunroof's drain tubes to prevent further water damage. See BT-36 for a diagram: http://www.nicoclub....thfinder/bt.pdf

Edited by Towncivilian

Replacing head liners can be VERY hard. On most cars, they are put in at the factory with the windshield not yet installed, because it's the only way to get it in without folding it and having it snap like a hard taco shell. You might get lucky with a Pathfinder and go out the tail gate.

Honestly, I would just live with it or make repairs in-car and put it back up.

Edited by pathfounder

Yeah VERY big pain.

I would shy away from having one shipped. I would bet money it will get damaged in shipping.

As stated above, they are VERY easy to damage. Essentially just paperboard/cardboard with glued cloth over it.

When we do a headliner here they pull all the seats out to have some room to work. The one on the Armada is the wost.....

I can pull my headliner out in less than an hour....

But Ive had it out 10+ times for sound deadning and various coverrings Ive put on it

Like everyone else said, it bends easy as hell, and you need atleast one set of extra hands during removal.

Its not to hard to remove all the pillar trim plastics, rubber mouldings, visors and map light and "oh @!*%" handles (which I deleted)

An option for you depending how bad of condition your headliner is in, simply cut out or grind away the mould/weather areas of the headliner, and do a layer or two of fiberglass to repair the area. Then pick the material of your choice to put on the headliner (suede is fairly cheap)

Like others have said, buying a headliner isnt cheap, and shipping it would be near impossible, so unless you can find one local I would try and work with the one you have got.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...