whose epoxy-ied their garage floor?

unccpathfinder

So whose done it...I'm doing the quickcrete...etched it tonight but holy @!*% I scrubbed the oil stains from the previous owner but I swear he dumped all his used oil on the floor or his lawnmower and both cars leaked a quart a week on the floor...stains lightened up a bunch but still visible

So...I hope it sticks good...gonna do grey without flakes then clear coat it and hope for a showroom shine

So anyone else used it and if so hows it holding up? I didn't get pix of the before but before coating tomorrow I plan to take pix...share uses if u got them

I have done the Rust-Oleum kit at the shop and it turned out nice. It does look better in the long run. The kit does not have a shine to it though, just a flat grey and the speckles. Thinking about doing it to my garage in the future but maybe with a clear coat.

I used U-coat-it in my shop. It's great for cleanup. It's held up for 2 years with no noticeable damage. You gotta keep degreasing the oil spots until they don't bead any water. It took me a week of degreasing/pressure washer treatments to get my shop floor clean enough to feel comfortable with applying the product. The floor coating is just like any paint job: All the effort goes under the shiny finish. Don't rush or you'll have poor results.

I wasn't getting any more beading after several different degreasers but its still visible so I'm hoping that its just deep stains...it being a 2 part epoxy should hopefully bond better than paint...the floor looked good this morning before work...ill do a water break test again tonight and if all is good on goes the first epoxy and hopefully the clear coat tomorrow

Tomorrow is clear coat and the following day a 2' wide strip down the middle of the garage with the anti skid additive...holy crap tho....I couldn't have the door open BC winds were ~15-20 MPH and I'm not feeling so hot now...definitely couldn't huff paint for a past time

I've had the Gray Quick crete stuff on my garage floor for almost 2 years now. It holds up great to normal traffic but will scratch up if you use metal car ramps without something under them. It also sun faded / oxidized on the 4 or so inches that are outside my garage door. Over all I'm real happy with it. The biggest messes have cleaned right up.

Worst I have to worry about is jacks and jackstands...I stopped at the door and I blacked out my windows so the fading shouldn't be an issue...I plan to keep a clear kit and grey kit to touch up (divide and measure out the ratios between epoxy and catalyst) but wiping up messes is a big thing and it looking half decent...we don't plan on parking in the garage with hot tires so I hope that gives us some more longevity

Another late night at the office but I'm clear coating tonight...got the anti skid zone mapped out so I can clear everything (except the masked area) and come back and pull the tape and roll that after I add in the anti skid for the walkway

2012-04-12_22-33-52_770.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

2 gallons of clear was 200$...2 gallons of the grey was like $160...spent $20 on 2 roller/brush/ pan combos...I got OSR (oil stain remover) for like $30 then I got 3 gallons of bond lock cleaner but I didn't realize that comes in the kit of grey epoxy...so it could be done for like $400

It takes 24 hrs to do the bond loc....then the grey epoxy has to cure for 24 hrs before the clear can go on and 24 hrs for the clear to cure to foot traffic and 72 hrs for vehicle traffic depending on temperatures...

Changed through oil in the Tacoma tonight and wiping up the little bit of oil spilled was awesome

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever used Polyurea Garage Coat instead of epoxy? It is a bit more expensive, but supposed to be stronger and less crack resistant... I'm in the process of deciding what to do to my garage now.