Lokka Locker

Has anyone used one of those Lokka lockers for a pathfinder before? If so what do you think? Costs about 660 US and easier to install than a ARB but ARB is still ARB. Any thoughts?

Lokka is automatic it unlocks during turns unless you have your foot in it. all other times it acts like a spool

ARB is air powered when you turn it on its a spool no matter what, when you turn it off its an open diff no matter what

What fits your needs better?

If its for the front I would rather have the Lokka or a clutch type LSD because turning a spool is really hard on CV's and it under steers pretty bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about to order a Lokka for the front differential in my D21. 505AUD shipped. Its made by 4WD Systems in Australia works very well. IIRC one of the designers was associated with Truetrac or Detroit at some point. Why do I think its better over ARB?

1. Less components to install, fewer moving parts, less to go wrong. Dont need to drill and tap diff housing, no air lines or solenoids or electrics etc

2. Outstanding reputation for durability and 100% positive locking action (same as ARB)

3. No distractions switching it on or off in challenging terrain

4. Solves the wheel-travel shortcoming of IFS

5. Price

IMO a front lokka is the best upgrade for the best money if traction and off-road ability is the goal. Perhaps the biggest benefit is the ability to traverse terrain far more slowly and calculated and minimize drivetrain wear and tear.

Lokka is automatic it unlocks during turns unless you have your foot in it. all other times it acts like a spool

This accurately describes a typical lunch box locker, but from my understanding....not the LOKKA.

From reading this : http://www.4wdsystem...index.php?id=29 it looks like it will allow the outside wheel to overrun (aka go faster then another) while even under throttle. Basically it drives in the inner wheel, as opposed to a open differential when the outer wheel is driven..... This is a different behavior then a lunchbox locker(eg a detroit) that positively locks both axles together under throttle, no matter what.

From the text on the site:

3a. The locking force is applied by the action of the pinion cross shaft acting on a uniquely designed and shaped cam - the more torque that is applied the harder the unit locks.

3b. The unlocking action occurs due to the ramping effect between the low profile ramped teeth which force the cam away from the axle (side gear) eg when an outside wheel turns faster than than an inside wheel when cornering. Power continues to be applied to the inside axle. As the turn is completed and the wheels again rotate at the same speed, the outside lock re-engages.

4. It should be understood that only when there is an external force being applied to a wheel to make it turn faster than the rest of the drive train will LOKKA allow one wheel to differentiate. Slippery surfaces where one wheel would normally break traction in an open diff cause LOKKA to stay locked - even with one or both wheels in the air, LOKKA will remain locked.

if its as cheap and easy to install as it looks, I might be seriously interested in this one.

Edited by Inyourface1650

I've heard from several Lokka owners that 4wdsystems' advertising is pretty conservative with estimated install times etc. Even if theyre assuming you've already dropped the front member, its a lot of work. Precise preloads/tolerances definitely not for the socketset/screwdriver mechanic they say...

Personally, I'm going to drop the front differential and take it to my local 4x4 shop for a couple of hours. Not comfortable enough disassembling and properly reassembling a differential yet. Then reinstall it myself with and throw in some Milemarkers while the hubs are off.

Steering/front suspension upgrades aside, to me this combo is an essential front end upgrade. When I have the drivetrain properly set up - ie a 4WD system that will stay positively engaged and constant front traction regardless of where the wheel is, then I will look at some sensible 32" MTs, UCAs and steering.

I think with the front Lokka, even on ATs, it will become quite a formidable machine. You've probably already seen this video but its a good demo of the Lokka in action:

• 2 years later...

Know this is a rather old thread now, BUT i have just installed a front Lokka into my 1990 pathy.

It is seriously retardedly easy. Getting the diff out is the bitch of the whole install. All up the entire job probably took a tad over 2hrs. This is including removing the front differential, removing the standard spiders, measuring all new products as required in instructions and reinstalling the differential in the car.

I am a mechanic, so does make it easier and quicker, but anyone with common sense will be able to do the install. I havent had time to test it as im still waiting for some parts to arrive to finish my front end overhaul, but from looking at the design and knowing how it works, i know the improvement is going to be nothing short of amazing.

I cant stress how easy the job is to do either. I would come close to letting my 3yo daughter have a crack at it.

Yeah I know I posted this two years ago but I am actually just now putting one in my R50. I had to grind down on some of the carrier to get the last cam in. But not a big deal. Also they didn't send a replacement pin with it so now I am waiting on that to get to my house by tomorrow I hope.

• 1 month later...

well i have given her a hard time since and the lokka is absolutely amazing compared to standard. The only issue i have had is on very soft surfaces (sand) at low speed it hasnt allowed the driveshaft to overrun. My lift is also causing what feels like my CVs to bind on full lock and droop.

Along with the 2wd steer swap and ALL new joints, its been a great improvement. Now i just need to do something about all the bent tie rods! (up to 4 now, in 2 trips.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spare front diff at home for my 99 R50. I'm ordering my Lokka soon and also doing manual hubs. I have a friend who did it on his 2001 Xterra, best build for the buck. I was going to do the ARB front and rears, but I cannot justify spending that much money on my Pathfinder.

• 2 months later...

I've been running a Lokka for a while now and no problems around town or off road - manual hubs are a must.

The best part is the looks on people faces when I easily pull someone from the sand/mud.

I did a write up on here somewhere; a step by step breakdown with lots of pics for those who are wary of the difficulty (it's not!)

• 2 weeks later...

well its been a few months since i fit the lokka up. Still loving it. Thought my steering issues were related to the driveshaft angles, which has ended up being incorrect. Although it will allow the shafts to overrun on decent surfaces, it definitely has created a couple issues when i need to go from lock to lock in a very confined space.

Its still absolutely farktonnes better than the standard diff, and definitely one of the best upgrades ive done on my girl, however once i throw the Dana at her, i will only be going E lockers front and rear.

for the money, im still rating it as absolutely awesome.