don't think I've seen this asked before, spare tire carrier question

ahardb0dy

My 94 PF I noticed today when I close the spare tire carrier the gap between the rear door and the body gets bigger. Like the body is actually moving over a little, anyone ever notice this on theirs? If not go give it a try and take a look at it.

Yeah, somebody mentioned this a few weeks ago, thought it was making his seals leak or something. I figure the hinges aren't dead straight, or maybe the pillar's just not entirely up to the carrier's weight... it is one heavy SOB.

These trucks are old, and some of had quite a few owners. While mine shuts straight, I'm sure over the years people have backed into things with the carrier causing it to bend.

I had a Blazer that had a rear tire carrier like the factory installed one on the Pathfinders and I will never get another vehicle with a tire carrier like that. I have noticed that it will bend the body if it is thrown open (which appears to have happened on every vehicle I have seen with one) and I'm sure it isn't properly supported. My suggestion would be to ditch it and get a bumper mounted carrier. Just my $0.02.

They actually are very well supported, MY1PATH got rear ended in the corner where the carrier is and it sent a blazer to the wreckers while his truck had minor damage.

I've installed a carrier on a non carrier truck, and the supports (that I got from nissan) were very beefy.

Yes, mine does move a little, looks are deceiving, tape measure only showed the gap change by a fraction. As for the leaks, very minor, mostly gone from keeping the seals wiped down after a dusty gravel road drive. Looks like window vent/visors are in my future (just like every Honda I have ever owned) to keep the moisture from foggin the windows, if I can find any. Local CanTire says they are discontinued for my year/model.

They actually are very well supported, MY1PATH got rear ended in the corner where the carrier is and it sent a blazer to the wreckers while his truck had minor damage.

I've installed a carrier on a non carrier truck, and the supports (that I got from nissan) were very beefy.

I added a stock carrier to a non truck as well using factory high quality pre-owned supports and they are rather stout and have some decent beef. (and kinda sucked to get into the quarter panel since I didn't want to cut anything)

• 4 weeks later...