HELP! I tried to destroy my pathfinder...

94WD214x4

Today I sunk my pathfinder up to the windows in muddy water on accident. I managed to get out but now I'm having electrical problem... The ABS light, the door ajar light, and the e-brake light are all on. Also the truck now seems to think that the key is in the ignition and turned on... The parking lights wont turn off either. The main problems I really want to fix is that the vehicle wont effetively "turn off" and the lights wont either (which basically would kill the battery). SO, I need help from all you lovely people to figure out what is wet/sending the wrong signal etc.

I have the batter disconnected currently but need to be able to drive the vehicle daily... Any help from the community?

What makes you think it thinks the key is in and on? Dash lights or just beeping?

My guess is that there is water in the light contact switch and its altering the lights to stay on

W inhich turn would make the Pathy beep cox three lights are on... Just an idea. Hope this helps!

WD40 every electrical connection/switch you can find and dry everything quickly. Does the thing even run anymore? The ECU is under the passenger seat. If it does you're lucky.

How long did it sit in the water? You may have some muddy water inside your differentials and transmission as well.

Today I sunk my pathfinder up to the windows in muddy water on accident. I managed to get out but now I'm having electrical problem... The ABS light, the door ajar light, and the e-brake light are all on. Also the truck now seems to think that the key is in the ignition and turned on... The parking lights wont turn off either. The main problems I really want to fix is that the vehicle wont effetively "turn off" and the lights wont either (which basically would kill the battery). SO, I need help from all you lovely people to figure out what is wet/sending the wrong signal etc.

I have the batter disconnected currently but need to be able to drive the vehicle daily... Any help from the community?

Feel bad for you, definitely lucky if it still runs. It sounds like you have a ton of work ahead of you, replace all your oils, diffs, tranny etc. Let it dry out.

I doubt I'm the only one here that wants to see some pics. :laugh:

Crazy thing is, it runs just fine! :) I found myself in a deep situation, threw it in four high, reverse, and paddled my way back out. Only the lower carpet got wet and mainly around the fenders. I checked the ECU, its good to go! Somehow I managed to save the day... The filter didnt even get wet. Anyone know where the connector for the ignition etc would be?

And yes, it is dinging when i open the door, and the lights stay on no matter what... I'd like to fix that part before it starts killing the battery.

OH! and garage? HAHAHA i live in an apartment. Thankfully GA is pretty warm at all times. It sat running all afternoon on a hot sand beach by the river which seemed to dry a lot out.

Then again, it got stuck up to the hubs that way and had to be pulled out. *ahem* Props to the pathfinder for being a tank today...

Update: I found the magic wire that makes the problems disappear. Its the green and black wires that connect into the clip on the positive terminal side... disconnected the car dies etc. Connected, the dinging continues of the vehicle thinking the key is in and on. i looked a few feet back but it disappears into a wire bundle. Anyone know any other spots to try and test this line?

I dunno about the wire, you might check the FSM wiring diagrams though. The ignition cylinder (what appears to be shorted somewhere) has a plug under the dash, maybe you can follow it from there? If you pull off the lower dash on the driver's side, and the clamshell over the steering column, you'll see it: soldered to the ignition on one side, goes to a tan plug IIRC. If you've got some, squirt some WD (or, better, dielectric grease) into all the plugs and things when you clean them out.

The dip in component cleaner sounds a whole lot quicker, though!