Ngk spark plug set, Worth it?

ferrariowner123

So i have been bored and doing a lot of searching and i came across this

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-NX14-Premium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000IY6UUM/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Pathfinder%7C893&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Nissan%7C67&Year=1996%7C1996&vehicleType=6&carId=001

Anything to be gained from doing this?

Thanks

-Kyle

Nothing to be gained really, but I have found that NGK is a good alternative to using the OEM wires. I have them on my Sentra and they work fine. I try to stay away from the brands the local auto parts stores sell, had problems with some of them but can not recall what the brand was.

NGK may be the best, but does it matter at $48?

I think Rockauto has sets of spark plug wires that range in price from like $13 to $24. I think the $24 are Bosch.

By spending $24 extra dollars (or $74 extra if they weren't on sale), what are you really gaining?

The answer is that you probably aren't gaining anything. Or at least anything significant.

Electricity is electricity.

You can even make your own wires if you want. Just buy a spool, cut it to the proper length, and crimp it.

My best friend's dad, who has a Corvette that produces over 1000hp, still uses regular Bosch wires.

Btw, the car is worth over 180k, so it's not him being cheap.

Cheap wires cause problems much quicker. Bosch wires are fine yes. Case and point: I just replaced THREE plug wires on my buddy's 4.6L F150 because he went with the cheapest of cheap... FIFTEEN THOUSAND!!! miles and they were melted inside and barely making any contact. One of them actually melted it's self to the plug on the NO. 4 cylinder, furthest one back and a bitch to get to. Misfires and stumbling galore. Bosch spark plugs are garbage as well, he had those in there. I replaced only the plugs first with NGKs and it actually ran smoother, then traced each stumbling cylinder down and replaced the wires as I went along. Runs like a new truck now. On something that's supposed to last 50-75K miles why go cheap? You'll end up spending more money replacing parts sooner and more frequently.

Edited by Kingman

I agree with what Kingman said. Cheap wires will not last as long and may affect spark plug performance. I go with the more expensive wires but they fit perfectly, last a long time and don't cause any problems. Check them out...

http://www.karlynsti.com/Folders/Karlyn_STI_Ignition_Wire_Sets.htm

B

It's definitely worth it to get a decent set of wires. As others mentioned, cheap wires just don't last. The OEM wires are made by Yazaki, which will last a long time. NGK wires are a great alternative to Yazaki. The other brand of wires I would recommend is MSD ignition spark plug wires. On my truck I used the same Yazaki wires because the old set lasted about 15 years!

$50.79 from rockauto,

I'll tell you I had fairly new autoparts store wires on my sentra and it would bog taking off really bad, I was up in NY visiting (where I am from) and I bought a set of OEM wires from the local dealer who gives me 20% off list, put the OEM plugs and the bog/stumble went away completely.

Years ago on my 87 hardbody I took the OEM wires off and again replaced them with autoparts store wires, had them on for a long time than engine started acting up, put the OEM wires back on ( I kept them) and truck ran like new again. You normally can't beat OEM but sometimes the prices keep you from buying OEM, NGK is an excellent alternative.

$50.79 from rockauto,

I'll tell you I had fairly new autoparts store wires on my sentra and it would bog taking off really bad, I was up in NY visiting (where I am from) and I bought a set of OEM wires from the local dealer who gives me 20% off list, put the OEM plugs and the bog/stumble went away completely.

Years ago on my 87 hardbody I took the OEM wires off and again replaced them with autoparts store wires, had them on for a long time than engine started acting up, put the OEM wires back on ( I kept them) and truck ran like new again. You normally can't beat OEM but sometimes the prices keep you from buying OEM, NGK is an excellent alternative.

One thing to remember, different plug wires will have different resistance that could change your ignition timing. If it takes longer for the spark to get to the plug because of increased resistance it will retard your timing and make it run retarded!

I found this problem with my brothers 94 Z71. He put autozone wires on it and it ran sluggish. When I checked the timing it was 4 degrees retarded.

James

One thing to remember, different plug wires will have different resistance that could change your ignition timing. If it takes longer for the spark to get to the plug because of increased resistance it will retard your timing and make it run retarded!

I found this problem with my brothers 94 Z71. He put autozone wires on it and it ran sluggish. When I checked the timing it was 4 degrees retarded.

James

Really? I never would have guessed that! :shrug:

James

But as long as the wires are specifically made for your car there usually shouldn't be an issue right? or is it branding at this point?

-Kyle

James

I'm no electrical engineer but I'd don't believe resistance has any effect on the timing. Increased resistance will however lower the voltage which I could see changing the behavior of the ignition.

Actually JamesRich is correct, the different materials used in cheap wires can affect the speed of the current.

Check this out: http://amasci.com/miscon/speed.html

That article isn't talking about resistance having an effect on the "speed" of the electricity. All other things being equal, it doesn't change your timing to have wires of different resistance. And even if your wire construction is different it might only change the time it takes the charge to get there by .00000001 second.

• 3 weeks later...

did you notice any difference with the Nology wires?

and for the record I like the OE yazki and sumitomo wires with the bonded boots and numbed jackets. too bad they are so skinny tho.

Edited by MY1PATH

did you notice any difference with the Nology wires?

and for the record I like the OE yazki and sumitomo wires with the bonded boots and numbed jackets. too bad they are so skinny tho.

I had a set of Nology on my KA D21, mainly because my buddy owned a shop and had a set and they never sold.

They looked cool. That was about it.