Where's the love?

Trevasty

After having owned my first pathfinder (and therefore searching for parts this whole time as well) I've come to the disheartening realization that there is almost NO support for this vehicle in the aftermarket, aside from jugaboo rims and tacky accents. It seems that only 3 people even "mass produce" lift kits for these, and they're only modest (no bigger than 2.5") at best. Not knocking these manfacturer's products AT ALL, but just wondering why only a hand few of peoPle seem to care about te pathfinder, specifically the R50's (I've seen more first, third, and current gen stuff, but still not much more). I know the jeep is the popular choice for off roading, or any type of 'yota, but what's "wrong" with the pathfinder that seems to not attract people to it like other 4x4 SUVs? Again, I'm new to this, so perhaps I've missed something in all this (please don't flame me) but it has genuinely been bugging me as to why this vehicle gets almost no after market support. Thanks! :D

Get used to it, that's just the way it is. Years ago when I had my 87 hardbody and was working at a 4x4 shop in NY, I had the chance to talk to a Trailmaster suspension rep that had come into the shop, I asked him about this compared to what they had available for the Toyota's, his answer was that just as many people purchase Nissan's as do Toyota's but they have found that the Toyota owner has more money !!!

I agree that there is limited aftermarket support (and I've even personally complained about it), but given the IFS (and maybe more specifically, the struts and not a coilover) and unibody design, it doesn't seem like the vehicle was designed for aftermarket options in regards to suspension/body lifts like other SUV's in it's general class.

So, the small number of coil spring lifts (and their limited height) and the single sub frame drop manufacturer has at least given R50 owners the opportunity to be competitive with a 3.5" susp lifted/1.5" body lifted T4R. And now, watching a few owners running tires over 33" and even some SAS'ing their R50's has gotten me a little curious as to where the modification bug will stop with our vehicles.

Also, although I'm not a big fan of the ARB or the KMA winch bumpers (or even the KMA rear bumper/swing tire carrier), I'm glad they are out there.

Again, not really disagreeing, but just thought I'd put a twist on it. :my2cents:

Edited by Rick13

I've been looking into a subframe drop lately, specifically this one http://www.krfabs.com/product_detail.php?productID=2

However, I just do not have all the tools required to install it, and my work (Goodyear) won't let us install outside purchase parts, and I can't order that kit through them. Needless to say, I'll need to find a local mom-and-pop to install it. My question is, how much should I expect ten to charge me for this?

I actually looked at a number of 4Runners before ultimately deciding I liked the Pathfinder better. I grew up with Nissans, and we have always had success with them. We've had several Maximas from 87-91, Stanzas from 84-92, my parents currently own 2 '95 240sx, and now I have the Pathfinder. Of all the vehicles my family has owned, with exception of the '92 Toyota Camry with a little over 300k on the odometer, the Nissans have outlasted the rest with really only maintenance work. I have 210k on my Stanza and after I figure out this electrical gremlin I expect it will last well into the high 200's.

The limited aftermarket support is a little disconcerting but at least we have communities like NPORA to help with the details as well as a number of skilled craftsman to give us a few more options. If we relied on the big name companies we'd be much more limited!

I'm currently in the same boat you are, but I'm keeping a positive outlook because I'd rather drive a Nissan than a Jeep or Toyota, not that there is anything wrong with either of those.

The lack of aftermarket support doesn't just apply to the unibody pathfinders, it applies to all the Nissan trucks, I had my hardbody from new in 87 and it was always that way, yes there were a handful of companies that specialized in Nissan but that was it, Jim Connor Racing was one of the biggest back than that come to mind, Jim Wolf Technology, desert steel, Calmini, but not even half as many as what Toyota had or still has available.

The R50 Pathfinder is just not that good of a choice as a 4x4 beyond a couple inches of lift and slightly bigger tires.

It is fine as a 4x4 for what 90% of those who off road do. If you rock crawl, like to play in deep mud or go places like MOAB no it is not the best choice, for those you want body on frame and over built.

I am always astounded by the people who can not figure out how I get my Pathfinder the places I go. My answer is always the same the same way you got here. On topic though, the aftermarket off road market in North America is based around Jeep, Chevy, Ford and Chrysler. Everything else is an after thought.

Yes, please, whatever you do, don't pick an R50 to do ANY this...

Rockies - 6 Rated Obstacle:

P1010889.JPG

P1010891.JPG

P1010893.JPG

Moab - 7 Rated Optional Obstacle:

P1010282_2.JPG

Moab - 5 Rated Optional Descent Line:

P1010283.JPG

Moab - 7 Rated Optional Ascent Obstacle:

P1020871.JPG

Moab - Steepest section of slickrock in all of Moab 4x4 trails:

P1010290_2.JPG

...cause it just won't make it. That would just be :crazy:

It may not be the smartest wheeling choice, but sure love it!!!

Sorry if I came off a little snarky, I just so tired of people telling me to get a real truck, as I wander about in the middle of no where. Love the pictures Rick13, but that is not what I think of as rock crawling. What you are doing is more like there is a good fishing hole up here and I am getting to it without walking! To me rock crawling is more like this :

A friend of mine went out with these guys, and filmed. They can get in big trouble if they use actual creek beds but these are mostly spring runoff channels.

Sorry if I came off a little snarky, I just so tired of people telling me to get a real truck, as I wander about in the middle of no where. Love the pictures Rick13, but that is not what I think of as rock crawling. What you are doing is more like there is a good fishing hole up here and I am getting to it without walking! To me rock crawling is more like this :

A friend of mine went out with these guys, and filmed. They can get in big trouble if they use actual creek beds but these are mostly spring runoff channels.

Yeah, but rock crawling isn't my hobby, the Moab comment is what got me. I've been all over Moab over the past 7 years. In fact, in the past year (3 long trips) with the SFD on 33's I haven't seen a lot to turn me away (except for true carnage trails that give custom buggies trouble).

Any ways, it's always nice to be one of the unique rigs on most of the trails around here and Moab.

My point = aftermarket may suck, but the fact that I can hit about 95% of ALL trails in the Colorado Rockies and a good 80% of all Moab trails with my current setup makes me get a bit defensive regarding it's abilities. Any ways, to each his own. And now I'm tired of talking about it. Gotta get ready for another run to Moab in 14 days. ;)

Gotta get ready for another run to Moab in 14 days. ;)

Do you participate in goneMOAB? You should go out there and represent, dude! The last time I went to Moab was in 2003! and with just a 2" lift, rear locker, sliders, 32" tires.

I ran Fins N Things (+ Kenny's Climb), Hells Revenge (+ Tip Over Challenge), 7Mile Rim (+ Wipeout Hill), Poison Spider-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim, Elephant Hill...

I think my R50 was the first to cross the Golden Crack unassisted.

I'm not crazy enough to try Hell's Gate, though.

Gotta get back there again... next year!