steering gear leaking fluid

trenton163

So I was under my truck today and I noticed that my steering gear is leaking (a small amount) of fluid from the front. The whole front drivers side seems to be covered in oil/fluid. I think that this is a really old leak that I just haven't really noticed.

I will try to get some pics posted, but I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be and/or how hard it is to fix?

I was looking on rockauto and a seal kit is like 30 bucks, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to do?

Thanks Trenton

It's not uncommon for the steering boxes with high miles to self destruct. They will usually wear out after some long mileage interval. I know my box failed. Basically, you need to rebuild the steering box (or swap to a newer one). It's not that hard but not on the easy side either. You have to remove the pitman arm, which is probably the hardest part of the whole job. I went to a junkyard and got a steering box (pitman arm included) with the accompanying lines and a reservoir. About to put it in and replace the entire system (see this thread).