Lifter Noise

918pathy

Try some sea foam in ure oil...the gfs 95 was starved sometime before we got it...sea foam helped but under hard acceleration Its still ticking loud...my busy used to put a half can in his passport every oil change to knock down lifter noise

X2 on the seafoam I ran it in my ka24 and it had a stuck lifter. I ran half in my engine oil and the other half through the vac line off my brake booster. I let it suck it out real slow and let it run for 15mins. In that 15 the stuck lifter stopped. The engine runs SOOOO much better then it did before. Better throttle responce and accle. I would try that first. O and do it at night if you live in a naborhood becuase your going to make a lot of smoke.

I have checked the oil and dipstick read full, now to check to see if the oil is getting up where it needs to be I would just take the oil filler cap off, while the engine is running.... Would a timing belt going bad cause that kind of noise?

When i put the Seafoam in, I need to go about 150-200 miles and change the oil correct. I currently use Castrol GTX 5W30, after the Seafoam treatment, should I switch to 10w 30 and see if that helps as well....Sorry guys I know Iam a PIA with my questions, but I am anal on how my vehicles run. Thank you in advance

Which one is better to use AUTO RX or Seafoam, or will they both do the same thing

Edited by 918pathy

I would use seafoam. I did a lot of searching on it and a lot of people liked it and seemed to work for them. The only negative was from the guys that haven't used it before. I ran it in my oil for 40 miles and it broke down alot of carbon in my engine. I didn't want to run it for 200 miles with that stuff floating around. But that's up to you. The longer its in there the more it will break down I guess but i plan on doing it in stages and if you run it through your vac line that goes into your intake your gonna want to replace the spark plugs after a couple miles becuase it will foul them. There is a couple of vids on youtube of how to use seafoam but went you watch them run it through there vac line they drown the engine with the last little bit to where it kills the engine. I wouldn't recommend doing that from what I read it will hyperlock your engine. And don't feel bad about asking questions this is what these forums are for. And when it comes to the oil I'm not sure what to run. It currently has 5/30 in but I am also getting some light noise from the lifters not sure if I should swap to 10/30 and ill prob run some Lucas in it too but someone will chime in.

I still get confused on weight to run in my engine with the AZ temps.

5W-30 and 10W-30 will be within the same viscosity range at operating temperature. 10W will be thicker (more resistant to flow) than a 5W at cold (i.e. ambient) temperatures. All Lucas will do is thicken up the oil by a grade or two overall and dilute the additive package of the oil. The resulting thicker oil will just mask the noise of the lifter tick.

do not drive a ton of miles with so much seafoam in the engine...it's not a lubricant...and driving it under load for so long is not recommended I don't care who says it's ok to do that. just let it idle for a short while or drive around the block a few times.

Im not sure on that but i know when i was having my lifter noizes on my hardbody and was searching everything i came across several things under the hood that raddled and made a similiar sound my dipstick was one lol.

I gave it a seafoam treatment, and that seemed to help. can a exhaust leak have a similar sound to lifter noise

Yes, it can. I had a broken exhaust stud that made a ticking sound.

Yes, it can. I had a broken exhaust stud that made a ticking sound.

X2. If you notice it more when the engine is cold, it could be a broken exhaust stud or leaking manifold gaskets, once the engine heats up (at least in my case) the leak kind of seals itself unless it's really bad.

I gave it a oil change after the Seafoam was in the crankcase for about a 100 miles, and it was black> It sounds way better now, and I figured out where my exhaust leak is coming from, I had a nut missing on of the studs, and one nut was loose. The other exhaust leaks are comig from the header and "Y" pipe connections so thats a easy fix just couple of gaskets. Thanks guys for your input VERY helpfull

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I just developed the ticking and stopped the truck and had it towed to a local shop (who is generally reliable & fair). They have diagnosed it as a lifter. Can I still drive it without further damaging the engine. If I do have them fix it it will probably involve a new water pump, radiator hoses, thermostats and spark plugs. If I'm going to do all that it seems wise to consider SeaFoaming it first but I don't want to damage the engine further.