32" tires

Patty

Hey Guys I'm a complete Newbie here and have been reading this forum for about a month. I recently purchased a 1998 pathy and have had some sh*&$y luck so far with it. But that's another story. Just wondering if you guys think I can Squeeze in a set of 32" tires in my stock 98 chilkoot if I add some wheel spacers and strut spacers on the front with some trimming? I'm just looking to get a little more height than I have now, the road into my camp is getting a little dicey. I have stock 15" rims.

Thanks,

Jesse

Hey Guys I'm a complete Newbie here and have been reading this forum for about a month. I recently purchased a 1998 pathy and have had some sh*&$y luck so far with it. But that's another story. Just wondering if you guys think I can Squeeze in a set of 32" tires in my stock 98 chilkoot if I add some wheel spacers and strut spacers on the front with some trimming? I'm just looking to get a little more height than I have now, the road into my camp is getting a little dicey. I have stock 15" rims.

Thanks,

Jesse

Or would 31's be the biggest?

32 will be a stretch.. you will need to cut alot of your front bumper in front of the wheels... of course you loose your mud flaps at the back and will need to trim your flare also. With the AC lift, I had to do all this a little bit...so I can only imagine you with only a spacer in the front.

31'' would definitely be a wiser choice with still trimming to do but I think it would be reasonable. Go look at the thread I started in the r50 about "tire vs lift vs wheels" as the title, you will get some ideas.

• Like 1

32 will be a stretch.. you will need to cut alot of your front bumper in front of the wheels... of course you loose your mud flaps at the back and will need to trim your flare also. With the AC lift, I had to do all this a little bit...so I can only imagine you with only a spacer in the front.

31'' would definitely be a wiser choice with still trimming to do but I think it would be reasonable. Go look at the thread I started in the r50 about "tire vs lift vs wheels" as the title, you will get some ideas.

Awesome, thanks man

I have been looking into the AC lift also, it is super hard to find on the East coast. Do you know anywhere in Canada to get it? I don't really wanna pay to get it across the border from 4x4parts.com

What type/brand would you suggest?

You're going to open the hubcentric lug centric thing again.

I went with non hub centric, because of cost.

Hub centering rings are available for some wheels, hub rings center the wheel on the hub, and after they serve that purpose they are done. They do not help support the wheel at all after its centered, thats the job of the lug nuts and studs. Some people will try to tell you different -- they are wrong.

I will let you know in about 3 weeks when I Get my lift and spacers installed.

From what I'm told by people here, and mechanic friends, properly torqued wheels will be fine. Keep in mind many after market wheels don't have the right hub size anyway.

The spacers I bought are actually 108mm bore, where my pathfinder is 100mm bore. I will be relying solely on the lug to center my spcaers and wheels both.

I will let everyone know if i run in to any issues.

If i could find some rock crawlers cheap, i would get them, but i don't really want to shell out $400 right now, vs $120 for non hub centric spacers.

My stock wheels are 6" Backspacing, and I wnat 4.5"

• Like 1

If i could find some rock crawlers cheap, i would get them, but i don't really want to shell out $400 right now, vs $120 for non hub centric spacers.

My stock wheels are 6" Backspacing, and I wnat 4.5"

Huh? Mine are ProComp Rock Cralwers that I purchased new here for roughly $60 a wheel. I guess if you round up shipping it equal $400 .. so, :thumbsdown:

Huh? Mine are ProComp Rock Cralwers that I purchased new here for roughly $60 a wheel. I guess if you round up shipping it equal $400 .. so, :thumbsdown:

I'm gonna make a sig photo like yours, man thats the best pic and great looking truck...

I've still gotta paint my stock wheels which might be more work than I want. Heres my math.

Spacers and stock wheels:

$120 Spacers

$50 (1x etching primer, 1x clear, 2x paint -- all duplicolor)

$? results questionable?

$? labor

$? loss of hub centering ring on both spacer and stock wheel since new bore is 108mm

vs.

$260 new 15"

$380 new 16"

I'm going with 245/75/16 duratracs, I Bet the 31x10.50r15 are cheaper... if i can save a bit there and dump these spacers I might do that.

I see them online for $89 for 16x8's and $59 for 15"x8 plus $20 shipping to the border... I live close enough to the US that I can run over and get them

Where are you again? aren't you in Canada too? If so, where'd you get yours?

I'm looking on http://www.4wheelparts.com/Pro-Comp-Rock-Crawler-Steel-Wheels.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=209&t_pt=100021

Which series are yours? No issues clearing the calipers etc that i've read about?? Do they have the 100mm bore to line up with the pathfinder?

Edited by dynomax

I'm gonna make a sig photo like yours, man thats the best pic and great looking truck...

Thanks! It cost me a timing belt job and about a month of "down time". :headwall:

I'm going with 245/75/16 duratracs, I Bet the 31x10.50r15 are cheaper... if i can save a bit there and dump these spacers I might do that.

I see them online for $89 for 16x8's and $59 for 15"x8 plus $20 shipping to the border... I live close enough to the US that I can run over and get them

I went down a size for that very reason. My OEM wheels were the 16" Tri-spokes.

Where are you again? aren't you in Canada too? If so, where'd you get yours?

I'm down in South Carolina. Long way from Canada!

Exactly where I got my wheels/Duratrac's

Which series are yours? No issues clearing the calipers etc that i've read about?? Do they have the 100mm bore to line up with the pathfinder?

I can't remember the series .. they are the "D" looking openings (not the "bullet hole" style). I had no issues with the wheels clearing the calipers. I even replaced the brake shoes with new ones that clear the wheel just fine. I was worried about this as I had read here where a member had issues with the caliper rubbing the wheel. The bore is a perfect fit as well. I installed my Warn manual hubs with out any problems. :itsallgood:

Yeah 32" definitely won't fit without a lot of trimming. I just got 31" tires, 255/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. They fill up the wheel well nicely I think. There is VERY minor rubbing on the front plastic wheel well liner when the wheels are fully turned. But then again I have an 01 qx4 so I don't know if there's any difference in the wheel well. I also took off my running boards and mud flaps. I also have some cheap 1" rubber coil spacers wedged up in there too. So there's a lot of different factors to consider here.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I can't remember the series .. they are the "D" looking openings (not the "bullet hole" style). I had no issues with the wheels clearing the calipers. I even replaced the brake shoes with new ones that clear the wheel just fine. I was worried about this as I had read here where a member had issues with the caliper rubbing the wheel. The bore is a perfect fit as well. I installed my Warn manual hubs with out any problems. :itsallgood:

52 Series

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-52-5883

^^ Cheapest place to get them.

I run those exact wheels based on devonianwalk's recommendation. They look great and are a great bang for buck wheel.

-Kyle

• Like 1

^ Do you have any pics of those terra grapplers? I'm guessing 265 70 16's might be too big if the 255's just fit

I have 266/70/16 on my R50 and they are just fine....

• 4 years later...

Ok, so here's my scenario. So I'll start the process of lifting my Pathy next weekend, so I know the height of the tires I'll be running should be no real issue based on the information on here.

My question is:

With my setup, will I need wheel spacers to run them or will they fit without spacers.

I won't receive the wheels for another two weeks, so that's why I'm asking versus checking myself. This way I can determine if I need to go ahead and order the spacers before the wheels arrive if absolutely needed.

Wheels: MB Chaos 6, 20"x9", 0 offset, 5" back spacing.

Tires: Hankook Dynapro ATM's in 275/55-20(31.9"x10.5)

I was sure I read on multiple sites that with a 2" lift, you can run 32's.

The back spacing of the wheels I'm getting are comparable to stock, so I pulled the trigger on ordering them.

Reading through this thread now has me questioning the fitment, especially with the tire width.

No biggie if I need spacers, just would rather not run them if it's possible.

Thanks in advance for any input shared.

Jeff

I have 265/70r16 on stock rims. I have 1" spacers to keep them off my struts and I have about a finger width (which is plenty) I run Warns and with 1" chevy spacers (I had on the shelf) I can put on my stock center caps with no mods.

I relocated the inner splash guard forward like 1.25"-1.5" and took a angle grinder and thin cutoff wheel to the offending bumper corner, I took my time measuring and it looks stock. I also trimmed the lips on my mud flaps and they clear. I can wheel or bounce in reverse and get no rubbing.

I have 2.5+ in front but that should make little difference.

The rear you will have miles of room until you start getting crazy with sfd in addition to lift and it starts shortening your wheelbase.

I think the wheel backspacing is too deep. It shouldn't be more than 4.25" (-19 offset) to keep the tire from hitting the strut. You'll need spacers to fit those wheels, but it's preferable to just order wheels with the correct backspacing.

I was going to add... Once you get the backspacing proper and you get over modifying your bumper.... I could easily fit 33's the 275/65r16's are in fact much cheaper.

If I would do a hair more trimming up front and be willing to totally lose my mud flaps they would clear and cost much less due to many more tire options.

In the real world having auto and 4.36 gears even with the 3.5 motor 33's would be a huge performance drain and I really like my mud flaps so it wasn't a viable option for me.

You just need to research backspacing and make a choice.

I had a set of lug centric 1" spacers I bought years ago for a chevy for $50 I took my time torquing them and used loctite, torqued to 110 and no issues.