Best remanued engine & tranny for my 1995 SE

slpknot1514

It has come to this!!! :headwall:

Going to replace the engine, probly transimission as well, on my 1995 SE.

Fully aware of the cost, therefore want some opininos as to the best place to source remanufactured engines and transmissions. SWengines, barnettes and some others are what i've seen during some surfing.

Please, advise...

THANX!

John

:itsallgood:

• 4 weeks later...

Alright. After much consideration, a bit/hours of research and $ comparisons....... x3. VG33 it is. Piece of cake it is said to be. And let it may be so, but I still have some questions. Since I will be putting the vg33 engine and components into a wd21, what modifications are required? I will use only wg33 parts on the engine; as it is a complete replacement. Replacing all seals and gaskets, timing belt and pulley, plugs, ignit wires and distrib, exhaust mani studs(maybe manifolds too, but probly not worth the $200), belts, idler pulley, lifters, oil pump, thermostat and water pump. Anything else? Are the engine mounts the same? Had some issues getting to the nuts to remove the engine from the torque converter and transmission. Does the tc need to come off the tranny and put on the engine before install? Would it make it easier? My tranny works fine now, but should i replace with a newer one or wait till it goes? WHAT else? MY1PATH: 4 wheel disk "swap"....... Have '94 with all disk and '95 with disk & drum. What does it take to make my '95 all disk? Please advise with an furthur suggestions regarding the updte. I look forward to NOT having to do this again until iI'm 50! Slightly over a decade from now! :jig: :jig: :jig:

Holy lack of spaces.

The genral rule on most tc's is too leave it on the tranny when you pull the engine (it should spin right into the tranny)

If your tranny runs fine now then why do you need to replace it? Install a bigger cooler and maybe cartridge style filter on it. And if your a old cranky bastard like one of the members here you can even install a temp gauge for it.

A lot of this stuff is pinned at the top of this forum or can be found using the search. Although if the search engine doesnt like you then say so.

I tried the JDM route when I replaced the engine on my '92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and the results were great. Just do your research on JDM engine sellers and how they test their engines. Why not consider going the Diesel route from a Japanese spec Terrano with gas prices being what they are.

My mom, an english teacher by trade, always said that I write like I talk! :happy: Perhaps an enter

to denote a new thought? So much for that catholic school grammar. and spelling, too!

So, regarding the engine to tc/tranny bolt up: Does the engine HAVE to be disassembled to be installed? Cause it was/need to be during the extraction. We started at the top and worked our way down and out.... Perhaps my mechanic missed some bolts that would have made pulling the engine easier. Are there any bolts on the tranny side that release the engine? Since it, the tranny, is a direct bolt on, it sorta makes sence to me that there may be. Like I mentioned above, the last couple nuts were hidden by a plate, all his mechanic buddies said there should be a space thru said plate to reach the nuts, yet, bolts on the plate had to be loosened to align the pass thru to thenuts. Bolts/nuts...ergggg. At this point, there are threaded bolts coming from the tranny.

Diesel is interesting. It works on bio diesel too right.... What is the mpg? Are there any particulares to the retro?

What do ya'll think about a suppercharged 3.3 exterra engine? Think its from a 03. If i went diesel, is turbo an option? Ummmmm, turbo.

WOW! I'm jealous! IF it comes to the point of replacing engine, I really would like to swap to diesel & run bio diesel. May be little more expensive to start with getting the kit to convert & stockpile bio diesel, but alot cheaper then @ the pump. Any diesel engine can run bio. I've been told you don't want to during the winters cause it can gel up.....Would it gel up if you have a plug to keep the block warm like vehicles have up in the colder northern states & Canada?

Good luck with your swap!

I had a JDM engine installed in my 94 and it runs great !! After reading about someone swapping the VG33 in the place of the VG30 I started wondering if maybe I got a VG33 by mistake as my pf seems to have so much power and gets up and goes so well, but I checked and it is still a VG30 but it runs so well and smooth. Years ago I had a JDM VG30 installed into my old 87 hardbody and that engine cost more but you could tell it was low mileage the engine inside and out was spotless, looked brand new, the JDM engine I bought for my 94 PF wasn't as clean (outside) but runs as well as the one I had in my 87 HB.

I did notice differences between the two JDM engines, the first one I bought almost 20 years ago had different valve covers on it and a fuel injection system I had never seen on any US V6 engine and it also had ribbed pulleys and I know it came out of a rear wheel drive vehicle as it had a belt driven fan on it, the JDM engine I bought for the PF had the same valve covers, FI, and "V" groove pulleys as the PF's VG30.

I only know of a few Nissan vehicles at the time (20 + years ago, US producton) that came with the V6 and were rear wheel drive, the Hardbody & Pathfinder, 300Z, 200SX, so I have no idea what vehicle the first JDM engine came out of.

I paid around $600 for the JDM engine I have in my pathfinder now.

Edited by ahardb0dy