I searched but couldn't find an answer

The_Magicians_Eye

Stock vs Mile Marker hubs. What's stronger?

I've seen Warn vs MM but can't seem to find any info on whether these are stronger than the stock auto hubs. We all know they are much cheaper than the other new options out there but I don't want to waste my money on something that may be weaker than the stock auto hubs.

auto hubs are just failure prone many will say, and I personally went from acting up stock autos to MMs. Now if yo could get your hands on some factory manuals off a HB...

Try the JY and find some factory manual hubs from a v6 hardbody. I hear they are very good build quality. Just make sure you have the matching # of splines and you should be good to go.

I have a set of MMs for $40 if you want them. I also have a spare set of Warn hubs, but I'll need to check their condition before I give you a price.

Autolocks are for soccer moms that drive on the snowy city streets, once every five years. I did not realize how much of a difference manual hubs would make in the feel of the truck when they are engaged in 4 wheel drive!

Nissan manual hubs are by far the strongest, and most expensive (new). and I've heard some issues with people shearing bolts off of their Warn's.

Before you sell, make sure you aren't selling a set of 28 spline hubs to someone that needs 27!

I had some serious issues with my auto hubs...

I have been running MM hubs for quite some time now and have nothing but good to say about them...

One thing I will say that I had to do was replace the hex head bolts that came with the kit with stainless ones. I also used red loctite to keep them in place.

While in 4WD the bolts would back out.

Long story short, I am a fan of the MM hubs...

I've heard some issues with people shearing bolts off of their Warn's.

Yep... throw away the included bolts, buy new studs, lock washers and nuts before installing and be done with it :aok:

Seems I've heard some say the small hex head bolts can be a problem too, but so far I've not personally seen or had that problem with Warns :shrug:

I like my auto hubs because I'm lazy. :tongue:

You also don't need to switch between locked and unlocked all the time to prevent the hubs from seizing.

Manual hubs are definitely stronger and better but are a little more difficult to install and maintenance.

Manual hubs are definitely stronger and better but are a little more difficult to install and maintenance.

Untrue. They attach the same way with the same bolts or studs so how are they more difficult?

x3 on using upgraded fasteners. I had some grade 10.9 M8x1.25x30mm socket head cap screws laying around that worked perfectly so studs aren't the only option.

BTW, in the future could you please put some relevant description/key words in the thread title? It helps our already feeble search function and makes it easier to identify what the thread is about for future reference. Thanks! :aok:

B

What? It was extremely easy to install, and at first I thought I was missing a piece, but only because I thought to myself "this can't be all I have to do..."

Both sets are 28 spline which should be correct for a '91. Sending you a PM.

Whoops, for some reason I was thinking the pathfinder didn't switch to 28 spline til they upgraded the TRE's and whatnot in 92 or 93. My bad!

Edited by silverton

I like my auto hubs because I'm lazy. :tongue:

You also don't need to switch between locked and unlocked all the time to prevent the hubs from seizing.

Manual hubs are definitely stronger and better.

I wasn't going to add anything to this thread but I agree with tungsten! :blink: Huh? What? That has never happened before!

I don't climb trees or rocks so I don't think I'll break a auto hub. I did switch to manuals because I found a set cheap and I lock them when I get to the camp but I'm always worried I forget to unlock them. And yes I'm lazy too, we are the only hunting camp I know of with an automatic remote gate.

James

I wasn't going to add anything to this thread but I agree with tungsten! :blink: Huh? What? That has never happened before!

I don't climb trees or rocks so I don't think I'll break a auto hub. I did switch to manuals because I found a set cheap and I lock them when I get to the camp but I'm always worried I forget to unlock them. And yes I'm lazy too, we are the only hunting camp I know of with an automatic remote gate.

James

I hear you on this. It's definitely a trade off for sure. I'm as lazy as the next but being able to put the truck in 4 low and not lock the hubs will give me 2 low (with some very bad gas mileage). I can't express how many times I've wanted a lower main gear while on the trail. However I play in the rocks and other things that I shouldn't if I want my truck to last and I've on two occasions heard my driver side hub pop really loud. It didn't break but it scared the hell out of me. I think the popping is coming from the hub not being fully engaged. So basically I'm wanting to sacrifice my lazy tendencies to have 2 wheel low and a little more security. Also I still have that tempting desire to weld up the front diff, not sure if I will but it's tempting.

I can see the trade offs for sure.

The reason I replaced my automatic hubs with manuals is simply because my auto's were failing and I never knew what to expect. Those guys would unexpectedly engage while going down the road...how? I do not know. Either way I knew it was going to harder on the drive line by NOT REPLACING them.

With that said... with my manuals, I have gained some MPG (don't ask me how, but I would assume that it is because of less drag on moving parts.), and 2low is quite nice when pulling some poor bastage out of a ditch...

Also, installation was a breeze... and maintaining them is just as simple.... in my opinion.

I haven't really had a problem with my auto hubs, except when one of them was just worn out so I replaced them with a good used set. They never seem to unlock in reverse for me I always have 4wd in both directions.