Wheel bearing lock nut socket

So thats what the tool looks like! When i repacked the bearing i just used a punch to take it off, and when i put it back on same thing, tightened it up, spun the wheel a few times and then backed it off a little.. Poor mans wheel bearing torque method :shrug:

So thats what the tool looks like! When i repacked the bearing i just used a punch to take it off, and when i put it back on same thing, tightened it up, spun the wheel a few times and then backed it off a little.. Poor mans wheel bearing torque method :shrug:

Yeah, I did something similar using some sort of lock ring pliers I lent from a shop, but from what I've been told that won't be sufficient and it'll eventually loosen by itself. The tool is required to properly set the bearing preload, so I need to obtain one soon and set it correctly on both my front wheels soon.

There's no O'Reilley parts stores around here, and AAP/AZ/NAPA don't list it on their website, and Carquest's website blows. Any other source except Summit Racing online?

Edited by Towncivilian

So since were on this subject now. LOL. What is the preload torque? Then how much do you back it off guys? I did mine to a few weeks ago and didn't do it correctly.

you torque until the bearing is at it's place (a good 70 ft/lbs), then it 0 ft/lbs... basically just hand tight without putting force to it.. basically just to prevent the bearing from moving sideways... simple really..

but setting it to that 70 ft lb is crucial, i dont think setting it with a screwdriver is a reliable idea

I modified the dana 44 easily, it was the only one i could find locally and i needed it that day

Advance Auto Parts (and possibly other auto part stores) rents these tools for free. You have to put down a refundable deposit but you get the entire 6 or 7 piece kit.