EGR Delete VG30E?

tmoore4512

That's strange I never had a code when I removed mine..I removed the entire system. Hm I guess some ecu are different in that way.

yeah, I'm thinking maybe it's a '95 thing only. The ECU for my truck seems to be a bastardized to '95 only (found this out when i wanted to replace it)

Any chance it's a California truck?

No it originally comes from a dealership in Duncan, a small town 30 min south of where I live and trust me.............it is no California hahahha

Edited by TugboatTony

I think the newer ECUs will throw a CEL if they don't like what goes on with the temperature sensor. Must have been something Nissan did to deter people from unplugging the EGR valve.

I replaced the temp sensor but good point!!

Removing the EGR tube last night to replace the driver side motor mount, seemed like the easier option than pulling the alternator, the tube broke! So, we blocked off the lower port and disconnected what I thought was the proper vacuum line on the solenoid. Drove around a bit today and got a CEL, did some research here saw that I had plugged the wrong vacuum port so I cleared my CEL, but it wasn't Code 29 for EGR function, it was code 32 for EGR temp sensor. We'll see if blocking off the proper vacuum ports fixes the issue.

Some 94's and 95's didnt have EGR system altogether. It was strange seeing them when they came in. I think they were California rigs. So, I suppose it could be deleted if you were running the correct ecu so it wouldnt throw everything off.

I would expect the California trucks to HAVE the EGR as they are emissions nazi's.

If you have a pathy with dual converters you might be able to get away running without the EGR valve. Remember, the California rigs have a BPT valve, which minimizes the amount of recirculated exhaust gas. Having the Pathfinders come without an EGR valve is very believable. VG30Es will have no adverse effects not running the EGR setup.

Well of course in theory it will have not effects. What it does have a effect on is emissions. NOx gases need to be reduced, and there are ways besides a EGR system to reduce them. IF a guy has to go through a emission test to get tabbed or whatever, he/she may not pass. Plus, its not very good for the enviorment.

If you have a pathy with dual converters you might be able to get away running without the EGR valve. Remember, the California rigs have a BPT valve, which minimizes the amount of recirculated exhaust gas. Having the Pathfinders come without an EGR valve is very believable. VG30Es will have no adverse effects not running the EGR setup.

My Pathfinder had two catalytic converters factory... it has an EGR and an BPT valve...a kanuter valve, and a flux capacitor too....heheh

Go figure...

I removed my egr and my cat converter. evap is soon to go as well for turbo piping room hehe. Yay for zero emissions testing where i live. Ps my truck runs great without emissions and my mileage/power both improved slightly.

I fabbed a block off plate for the intake manifold and then plugged off the exhaust headers tube with a (i think 22 or 24mm) threaded plug. looks nice and clean and no. I have zero check engine light, zero trouble codes on the ecu. My truck is a 1993 with 1993 ecu 1996 vg33e and zero emissions (well still evap but not for long). Using the 1993 ecu to run the emission-less vg33e with cold air intake/headers w/ 2" collectors and 2.5 inch exhaust and it still runs perfectly. I love nissan ecus.... I really need to look into that M30 swap to make even more power!

But back on track.. Im not home now but I'll snap a quick shot of the block off plate when I get home. I actually should have a picture around here of what I used to plug the header-side of the egr tube. I went around all over trying to find a plug for the damn header that would fit like stock and just thread in. I didn't want to do something nasty like welding up the hole.

It was a threaded plug I found in an old 240sx KA transmission I had laying around. I'm sure it would only be a 2$ part if you could find a part number for it, or even just hit the junkyard if theres any 240s with trans still in them... Threaded in perfect to the oem manifold-side egr tube hole. lol lucked right out! Heres a pic.

the plug came out of that hole and had that spring behind it.

381275_10151056880090504_975127135_n.jpg

408520_10151056879960504_764055503_21963223_545895424_n.jpg

and that plug fits right in there and fits like it was made for it.

388655_10151002550365504_764055503_21790041_848560581_n.jpg

Edited by Nefarious

My pathfinder has both the EGR and BPT valves, had both the pre cat and the main cat. I removed the pre-cat cause I was seeing temperatures of 800+ degrees fahrenheit on it, and most of the time, the IR temp reader was off the scale. So, I got rid of that and chocked it up to a interior carpet fire causer.

Capping the correct lines on the solenoid still causes a CEL. I haven't checked but I'm positive it's still 32 for EGR Temp Sensor. Because instead of seeing 250+ degrees, it's seeing maybe slighty above ambient.

It must be for 95 models that the ecu doesn't like it removed...what a shame. are pre 94 and post 94 ecus the same? could u swap in a 93 ecu so you dont get the cel or error code?? even when i check my codes it reads a solid 55 a-ok every time. zero emissions and the egr is completely removed. my truck had no bpt valve. was just the egr to remove.

All the BPT valve equipped trucks in my experience complain if you remove the EGR valve. That makes sense because the BPT already scales down EGR valve function to a minimum and improves performance. You can have the least possible exhaust gas and still pass NOx emissions with the BPT valve.

Now before I get any PMs, mine never had a BPT valve, it was retrofitted in there with a BPT compatible EGR valve.

All you need is:

1x bracket to hang the BPT valve

1x t-fitting

1x BPT tube

1x BPT valve

I know my truck will pass with a BPT setup just fine. I haven't tried going for an emissions test without the EGR valve working at all but from what my previous results were it looks like it will pass without the valve even being there.

For those of you who have a BPT valve you can do a few tests.

1. Try accelerating

2. Unplug the BPT valve and try accelerating

3. Unplug the EGR valve and try accelerating

You will see that with no EGR the engine has the most power, with it the least, and with a BPT valve it is somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Tungsten

You might be able to replace the EGR temp sensor with a resistor to avoid the cel light after removing the EGR. Someone with a working EGR system would need to test the impedance of the EGR temp sensor with the engine at operating temp to determine what resistor to use.

James

^ that would probably work great for bpt equipped rigs. i personally have never looked back after removing my egr/cat as i have a good amount more power now and any power helps with all this weight to move around!!! i guess i was lucky to have a rig without a BPT valve so I have no issues with the CEL. although i don't live in an area with any inspections or smog requirements...

^ that would probably work great for bpt equipped rigs. i personally have never looked back after removing my egr/cat as i have a good amount more power now and any power helps with all this weight to move around!!! i guess i was lucky to have a rig without a BPT valve so I have no issues with the CEL. although i don't live in an area with any inspections or smog requirements...

If your truck doesn't have the BPT valve and removing the EGR doesn't cause a CEL light then your good already. This idea is only for the guys having CEL problems after removing the EGR. The FSM should have impedance values for a good sensor, just use a large resistor like a 2 or 3 watt.

James

You might be able to replace the EGR temp sensor with a resistor to avoid the cel light after removing the EGR. Someone with a working EGR system would need to test the impedance of the EGR temp sensor with the engine at operating temp to determine what resistor to use.

James

Or just look in the FSM for what it should be...