starting problems

dart6

Hi I have a 95 v6 auto. Since yesterday i have been having problems starting it. The starter won't engage, what i get is a loud click behind the dash when the key is turned.Sometimes it does start

Lights and everthing else work fine

Also the dash symbols what does the one between the doors open symbol and the emergency brake symbol mean. It looks like a round muffler [ for want of a better description ]with 5 wriggley lines above it

thx Brett

Edited by dart6

Forgot to add this is a terrano which i think is also known as a pathfinder. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the trans inhibitor switch and if there is some way to bypass it

Your warning light of "round muffler with 3 wiggley lines over it" really stumped me. I did some Google image hunting and found this.

http://www.estima-motoring.co.uk/FAQ%20-%20Dashboard%20Warning%20Lights.htm

Dashboard%20Warning%20Lights1.jpg

I know it's for Toyota, but ignore that. It says exhaust temperature light? Sounds like some extra emissions system not in the US. I guess that's how they do it in New Zealand?

As for your original problem with the starter, it sounds like something is preventing the starter from getting power. This might be the neutral safety switch/ relay that controls this, or some loose/frayed wires

Edited by 1994SEV6

Your warning light of "round muffler with 3 wiggley lines over it" really stumped me. I did some Google image hunting and found this.

http://www.estima-motoring.co.uk/FAQ%20-%20Dashboard%20Warning%20Lights.htm

Dashboard%20Warning%20Lights1.jpg

I know it's for Toyota, but ignore that. It says exhaust temperature light? Sounds like some extra emissions system not in the US. I guess that's how they do it in New Zealand?

As for your original problem with the starter, it sounds like something is preventing the starter from getting power. This might be the neutral safety switch/ relay that controls this, or some loose/frayed wires

thanks for that it is the same as the exhaust temp light. Do you know where i can locate ihe inhibitor relaY

thanks for that it is the same as the exhaust temp light. Do you know where i can locate ihe inhibitor relaY

Can i test my starter while still in the vehicle. What i've done is connect a wire to the black/ purple solenoid wire to the battery +. Getting nothing from the starter just sparking where i'm connecting the wire

Should i be doing something else

thx

My solenoid is getting power when i put a test light on it and turn the key, there is no clicking nor does the starter turn over.

The cable going from the battery to the starter seems ok too. Does this mean my starter is stuffed.

What trips the starter to turn over, is it the solenoid

My solenoid is getting power when i put a test light on it and turn the key, there is no clicking nor does the starter turn over.

The cable going from the battery to the starter seems ok too. Does this mean my starter is stuffed.

What trips the starter to turn over, is it the solenoid

When you turn the key, the solenoid pushes the gear out to mesh with the flywheel. At the end of its throw it completes a circuit to the starter motor itself. So, yeah, the starter won't run if the solenoid's not moving.

I've heard you can beat on the solenoid and get it moving sometimes, but it's more of a 'get me to the parts store' thing than a fix.

When you turn the key, the solenoid pushes the gear out to mesh with the flywheel. At the end of its throw it completes a circuit to the starter motor itself. So, yeah, the starter won't run if the solenoid's not moving.

I've heard you can beat on the solenoid and get it moving sometimes, but it's more of a 'get me to the parts store' thing than a fix.

Hey thanks for that, sometimes started when i tapped the solenoid.

Spoke to an old school sparky who thinks the brushes need replacing

Edited by dart6

Hey thanks for that, sometimes started when i tapped the solenoid.

Spoke to an old school sparky who thinks the brushes need replacing

it's all good now and running, the sparky made some brushes up as you can't buy them here