Ordered my SFD today!

As in why aren't lift springs greater than 2" made for pathfinders, there must be a reason?

Independent Front suspension utilizing McPherson style coil on strut design. (some but in if im wrong) but as far as my understanding goes. IF you were to go any higher in the front of the car, the half shafts or Constant Velocity (CV) shafts would be at too steep of an angle to function correctly or if they did function, the stress would be very large and cause them to fail prematurely, this is where the comes into play. They relocated that entire element so that the shafts and everything else stays happy.

Also you would have an issue of the suspension arms having trouble (running out of travel), steering, brake lines, camber issues. so yeah. in addition to what kyle said. there are companies would could change all of that and make a product that could solve these issues. but while there may be a HUGE amount of R50's on the road, there just is not enough people taking them off road to justify all of that R&D to get make it.

-Kyle

What did you guys do about the lack of reach for the rear swaybar?

Extend it? Just eliminate it? More roll on the road?

Just removed it , I did not feel any difference in handling with the swaybar off.

• Like 1

Just removed it , I did not feel any difference in handling with the swaybar off.

Man, I had to put mine back on as I felt Vaja's butt rocking to much going down the highway. Then again, I only have the 2" spring lift so it might be different than the SFD.

Thanks guys! I don't have time to get an alignment til Friday.

It's just hanging off the rear axle, so I'll try it, since I have both the 2" lift and the SFD now. It fit with the 2" lift, but doesn't reach with the SFD. If I do get too much wobble, I guess I'll look into making some sort of extension and disconnect for offroading.

ramdala: Thanks for that link in your signature for the missing link. Going to make one soon! :) Oh...and that TPMS kit looks nice! Xmas present for myself? 8)

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

Shocks and springs sold to ScottZ!

ABS sensor repair going on here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34459-abs-sensor-repair/

Learned that I have a Load Sensing Valve that needs bled and that I need to disconnect the battery to disable the ABS when bleeding the brakes. (learn something new every day. :) )

So far, I think the Stop Leak is working on the Main Seal. That's awesomeness.

Not sure if I will make a disconnect for the sway bar. Going to travel the road of making my own Missing Link.

I had the Pathy up to 75 after the alignment. I have some tire shake, so I need to swing by Discount and get the balance checked. Not too much sway...only at slow speeds, while cornering.

"We"? I ordered them from Iron Rock Offroad.

And correction...since I can't edit my original post: I ordered Iron Rock Offroad springs, but ordered them from www.csloffroad.com (make sure to ask for 2 of the SAME color stickers)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Completely off topic, but can jeep cherokees do a "subframe drop" seeing as they are unibody?

I don't think they need to based on their solid front axle/link suspension.

A subframe is a smaller "frame" onto which the steering system, front suspension and engine mounts are attached. This smaller "frame" bolts up to the unibody chassis and is not part of the unibody itself.

The big part shown in this drawing is the subframe for the Pathfinder:

http://www.trademotion.com/media/images/oe/collision/3/3617150.gif

Live axle front suspensions don't typically have a subframe. They're configured similarly to the rear axle of the Pathfinder, though sometimes with fewer links.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

Excuse my lack of knowledge as to what exactly a "subframe" is, sir!

I wouldn't worry about it, I didn't know ANYTHING about the sub-frame until 2010 when I started researching possibilities of lifting an R50 beyond 2-3 inches.

Even though I know a lot more about it now (and even performed the fabled sub-frame "drop" thanks to KR Fabrications), saying "sub-frame" out loud has begun to feel like a 4-letter word to me...or maybe I just feel like throwing out a 4-letter word every time I say it!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally got bigger tires!

Sorry that they're plastered over a couple of threads, but they are pertinent to those threads as well. :/

Oh! And I ditched the swaybar. No need for it whatsoever.

Wheels2_zps2aa1ac7d.jpg

Wheels1_zps003adf0a.jpg

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I comment like 4 times on this thread and NEVER looked at your build...don't ask, I have no excuse.

Looks great, nice build.

BTW, the only thing I don't like is that dumb looking TJM bumper. You should sell that.......maybe to someone in Colorado?

Someday, I'm going to take the time to wire this up....

20130928_130504_zps2cc4241a.jpg

I finally got the seatcovers installed. :)

20130928_130510_zps49bcb93d.jpg

And wired up the box that I made for my winch solenoids. I have to figure out the best way to mount it. There's no room behind the bumper or under the hood. The wires reach from there.

I have to get a bigger step bit. That hole is the biggest one that I have. The plug for the control will mount there. Once it's done, I'll paint it black and silicone where the box closes.

20130929_183800_zps5c8efc92.jpg