Ethanol-free gasoline

westslope

Thanks to the pro-farm lobby Steven Harper Conservative government, 5% of gasoline sold in Canada must be ethanol as of late 2010.

I went looking for ethanol-free gasoline in White Rock and South Surrey, British Columbia. I found a web-site that claimed that 89 Octane Chevron gasoline in BC was ethanol-free but when I pulled up at a Chevron service station, the man behind the counter said that all their gasoline contained ethanol.

So back to the web where I learned that 89 (Silver) Octane gasoline at Shell Canada stations had no ethanol. I went to a Shell Station in South Surrey. There i read on the pump that the regular grade (87 Octane) had 10% ethanol; the Silver Grade (89 Octane) had 5% ethanol and the VP grade (Premium) had 0% alcohol. I filled up with the VP grade.

The regular costs $1.27/litre; the VP grade costs $1.413/litre. I had to pay almost 12% more in order to avoid ethanol.

Questions:

1) Where can I buy ethanol-free regular gasoline in British Columbia?

2) Our pathfinder is a 1993 model (manufactured late 1992). PetroCanada's web-site claims that vehicles sold in Canada after 1988 are ethanol ready. Should I worry?

Good luck on that. Down here in California all the gasoline has ethanol. You can still find some places without it , but it is usually at race track and $5-6 a gallon. I have not had any problems running ethanol in any vehicles though .

Check Pure-Gas for possible locations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the US and Canada.

Using higher than 87 octane in engines designed to run on 87 octane can theoretically cause problems if the engine cannot advance timing enough to take advantage of the higher octane, since higher octane fuel is more resistant to ignition, which is why higher compression engines prefer higher octane.

The problem I've heard about is that ethanol attacks the natural rubber seals on some older vehicles. I've never heard of a Pathfinder having a problem with it, though.

Perhaps there's a way to distill ethanol from gasoline... open a little spout on the gas tank, fire up the still, a few hours later you've got a tank of pure gas and a container of questionable moonshine liquor. That's how to end this ethanol thing... :lmao:

Perhaps there's a way to distill ethanol from gasoline... open a little spout on the gas tank, fire up the still, a few hours later you've got a tank of pure gas and a container of questionable moonshine liquor. That's how to end this ethanol thing... :lmao:

Let us know how that works out! Lol!

James

The problem I've heard about is that ethanol attacks the natural rubber seals on some older vehicles. I've never heard of a Pathfinder having a problem with it, though.

LOL! It would be a lot cheaper and more efficient to tie down the typing hands of all the politically active farmers in the land. US taxpayers might save in excess of US$25 Billion a year.

Can't get Ethanol-Free gas in dense population areas since ethanol "reduces" dirty exhuast (and gas mileage).

Quoted that from another forum. Hey Town, nice link. Apparently, Southern US is flooded with them, the rust belt has a bunch, and OR and WA have plenty. Canada is screwed though.

No Ethanol-free gas station within 70 miles of me. I guess my Nissan is doomed to crappy gas.

Edited by 1994SEV6

Apparently, some gases are secretly ethanol-free by being labeled as race gas, or for lawnmowers or 2stroke engines. It definitely costs a lot more.

Kingman, what kind of prices are you looking at? Run of the mill gas, and ethanol free so we can see a difference

I have a special POI database loaded into my GPS of all the ethanol free gas stations in the country. They are always in bumblefskc though. Then around here, they will pump gas directly into your tank only so I can't put it into a container and then separate it at home. Water will separate the mixture of ethanol and gasoline, which is why the whole mixture becomes a problem when there is condensation in the gas tank.

which is why the whole mixture becomes a problem when there is condensation in the gas tank.

oh jeez. Another terrible thing about ethanol gas.

Are there ANY advantages of this E10? Except lining politicians and oil CEOs pockets?

No advatages.. And a 93 will run with ethNol just fine.

It will run fine, but your MPGs will suffer about 10-25%, along with your power/performance. Also, long term effects include deterioration of rubber seals and things like that.

Besides that, ethanol free gasoline has a shelf life in excess of 3 years, but E10 has a shelf life of about 4 months.

Install a tap on the tank, drain at home, separate there?

I don't want to hack the gas tank like that. I will find a way to drain it somehow. Just a matter of time before ethanol pisses me off completely so that I can make my home brew ethanol and gasoline separation system.

Edited by Tungsten

I'm actually half-seriously considering it.

So what do you do?

Put gasoline in a container (clear container would be best) and just pour distilled water in? Then the ethanol will rise to the top or something?

I have a special POI database loaded into my GPS of all the ethanol free gas stations in the country. They are always in bumblefskc though. Then around here, they will pump gas directly into your tank only so I can't put it into a container and then separate it at home. Water will separate the mixture of ethanol and gasoline, which is why the whole mixture becomes a problem when there is condensation in the gas tank.

How do you buy gas for a lawnmower or snowblower then?

That's a problem! We have to use ethanol gas in those too. They will fill up a few 1 gallon containers for you and nothing over that. You have to show up with gas cans or they won't pump it. Note: We don't pump our own gas in New Jersey.

I'm actually half-seriously considering it.

So what do you do?

Put gasoline in a container (clear container would be best) and just pour distilled water in? Then the ethanol will rise to the top or something?

Yes but research the actual process more to avoid any nuances.

Here is a link to get you started: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081108165845AAEi8bH

I wouldn't heat it though. :lol:

Edited by Tungsten

I don't want to hack the gas tank like that. I will find a way to drain it somehow. Just a matter of time before ethanol pisses me off completely so that I can make my home brew ethanol and gasoline separation system.

Point... maybe tee off the gas line?