Panhard bar and Suspenion Links..

LukeB

So I've got this problem were the rear end of the vehicle starts to sway around when I am going along at highway speeds, hits a bump and it gets A LOT worse.

I looked down, and it had actually broke one shock off the bottom mount. I believe it's the Suspension Link bars, on the 2 on top and 2 on bottom, bad bushings...

That would allow the axle to move back and forth on either side, right?

All parts stores can do for me is the Panhard bar bushings, they can't seem to find the link bar bushings for those 4...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot! The part's stores can't seem to find me anything, it's a bit frustrating how they don't have the bushings for a pretty major suspension component!

Personally, I wouldn't use the Poly bushings. They have a tendency to crack, squeak and eventually fall apart. I was lucky enough to find a set on here from a member that sold his truck before they were replaced. I would check Rock Auto and even NAPA, they have and or carry the factory rubber inner and metal outer sleeve bushing similar to the factory stuff. My trucks bushings were so bad, that when i took the trailing arms off the truck, the insides literally fell apart. prior to that. when ever I lifted off the throttle or applied it. The truck would snap side ways, trying to over steer. If the bolt would have broken, I suspect i would have driven off the road a few times! The bushings themselves a pretty easy to remove and install. Once the rubber inner material is removed, simply take a sawzall or hack saw, and cut the outer metal sleeve into 4 sections. Then take a flat nosed 'drift punch' and drive the 4 pieces out with a hammer.

To install the new bushings, simply find a socket the same size as the outer metal sleeve of the bushing and start tapping around the bushing until it starts to go into the arm. Once it's started keep driving the bushing in, until it's all the way through the arm and equally on both sides. Put the arms back on the truck, and drive in a straight line once again!

Hope this helps.

If you don't use the grease supplied with the bushings they will come apart quickly. Generic grease don't cut it either. It's also been said that they inhibit overall flex when off roading as they don't allow any twisting. I'll see for myself once I get my damn truck running! That being said I have doubt they'll last no where near as long as a new set of OEM bushings.

I had to rip my whole rear end back apart because I didn't pay enough attention installing them and used regular grease, then I looked around online and saw what happens... My old bushings practically fell out as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK97yYG2X14&feature=g-upl&context=G2bf9d6eAUAAAAAAAEAA

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I am new to all this Pathfinder stuff... My son has an 05 Xterra Off Road, and I just bought a 96 Pathfinder SE. It runs great, but the rear suspenion is toast. I have been looking around, and I am wondering which is the best way to go, split bushings or solid? I know you have to press the solid ones in, that is not a problem, I am just wondering which will last longer and perform better. I was surprised to see the 5 link set-up in the back, as I said I am used to working on my son's X. Any advice would be great!!!

Edited by paoldschool

If you don't use the grease supplied with the bushings they will come apart quickly. Generic grease don't cut it either. It's also been said that they inhibit overall flex when off roading as they don't allow any twisting. I'll see for myself once I get my damn truck running! That being said I have doubt they'll last no where near as long as a new set of OEM bushings.

I had to rip my whole rear end back apart because I didn't pay enough attention installing them and used regular grease, then I looked around online and saw what happens... My old bushings practically fell out as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK97yYG2X14&feature=g-upl&context=G2bf9d6eAUAAAAAAAEAA

WOW, that was pretty bad !!