Hood vents

58 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I mount these vents?

• Towards the front of the hood?
    • Towards the back of the hood?
    • Not put them on at all?

IMAG0048.jpg

I saw these 2 vents in the scrap bin at work today cause someone had messed up the holes so "they couldn't use them on a finished product". we use some stainless ones and some aluminum and these happen to be aluminum so im going to TIG up the messed up holes and mount them somewhere on the hood. they are approx. 9in.x9in. my question is where should i mount them? front as "intake grates" or towards the rear of the hood for an "exhaust grate" a friend has some similar on a crawler jeep on the rear of the hood for the reasons of moving so slow they would perform better to allow the hot air to escape out the back of the hood. Im leaning towards the rear cause thats logical to me. In your guy's opinion should they be towards the front, rear, or left off?

And when I install them, I would cut out the hood and make a frame as backer and rivet them in place. and in the spring/summer the flat black is going away to be repainted realistic camo ( my brother in law has done his truck couple other rigs and hundreds of guns, and actually has a huge wait list for stuff to get painted). Thanks for your input

That particular vent don't personally appeal to me (key word personally) but if you were to use them I would personally go with a more center to rear mount. Just make Yourself aware of whats under them (weather purposes. Although while moving it might not be as big an issue, you do have to park it at least sometimes :lol: ). Personal taste, I like the boat vent look/functionality the xj people do, they seem to fit well on the little flat hoods of SUVs of their/our size. If your "just settling" though, hold out till you come across what you want but if these are the vent style/size you wanted I say more power to ya :aok: just remember to take your time on the install

I never thought of the weather aspect. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. In looking at it, I'd probably try to mount them with the back edge in line with the washer fluid nozzle and centered between the edge of the hood and the hood line. The drivers side all I see for the weather to get is the brake booster. On the passenger side I see the cruise control, wiper motor, and all the relays and electronics mounted on the fender well. Being bored at work on breaks and having access to it, I can brake up a nice easily removable pan out of .050 to cover everything.

Funny enough they are covers for ventilation fans in a hard side full sized fold out container used by the US military as kitchens, living quarters, and CSI labs.

I may also try and fab up a plate that will slide in on the backside frame so i have the option of having them open or closed depending on what im doing at the time.

My idea to use these versus buying vents is I like the price of these and after its camo'ed i bet you would hardly even notice they were there. and looking at the picture its kinda decieving because its sitting on the louvers. its only going to stick up maybe 1/8th in. and i may also use a machine screw if i dont like the way the rivets look.

Hey check these out

407263_2232067220573_1814692405_1431479_746097848_n.jpg

39299934106_large.jpg

Nissan beat ya to it! Both of those truck hoods are stock. The top one is a 1983 720 cab/hood with factory vents. The second picture is a 1980 720 with a factory hood.

Just thought you might appreciate these considering your design.

If you're up for a little fab work, you could set them up like the louvers/rudders on a swamp boat (or house window shutters), so that the cable makes them flip open or flip shut. That way they're not filling with snow/rain/leaves when you're not using them.

because its not fixing something thats broke as the garage section suggest. and its not something specific to any peticular year of pathfinder. it was more of a fab idea that could be for any rig. granted its not like a 4 link SAS or a motor swap but its not an average tinkering.

• 5 months later...

Don't worry about D-Rock [lol] Billy. Like previousley mentioned~ you either need to place the vents over something you dont mind getting wet in the engine bay (nearly impossible), keep it out of the weather (difficult) or fashon up some door flaps or something. I have a custom hood on my car with 3 big vents and trust me, water goes in when it rains by the bucketfull.

I will kick the idea around in my head today and maybe spit out a CAD drawing if I come up with something.

Edited by Firehawk

I used a couple of $6 a piece vents (hence the bolts rusting) from my local marine dealer until I can think of something better. They do make a difference, there's nowhere for the heat to go at the back of the engine bay, you should feel the heat coming out of them even when the motor is off.

vent2.jpg

vent.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i may just do this on the pathfinder i bought, i got one for parts so i could use that hood since it isnt perfect so if i want to put it back i still got the original hood, but personally i like the marine louvers and might use aluminum pop rivets so they dont rust

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

and it works really well. on the motorway the the temp gauge sits lower then it use to, the vent sits above and slightly back of radiator. my theory on why its works is that the air going over the vent is high pressure, and the hot air rising out of the vent is low pressure thus creating a vacuum sucking the hot air out. i could be wrong but what eva is going on has definitely lowed the engine bay temps.

Edited by passengerpete
  • Like 1