Subwoofers and how they are hidden?

NextToAlaska

Its coming to the time of year when I actually need the back cargo spot of my pathfinder for..well cargo. Currently I have my 2 12 inch Subwoofers and a amp back there. I dont really wanna take them out everytime i plan on moving stuff so ive been looking at ways to hide them or cover them up without making to much rattle. I thought id ask the people of npora how they have there subs hidden or covered up!

I'am likely thinking of making a new box for them and then covering the woofers with something. Also if anyones got ideas. I would love you all for ever! =)

Also if anyones found good places to hide them. like say in the panneling. or anything crazy like that! =D

Thanks and sorry for all the text haha!

this is my setup.. amp was going to go behind the panel and box but it was physically too big.. getting a smaller amp to hide..

wouldn't say mysetup is hidden tho..just custom.. it takes up less room than the spare tire, doesn't stick out any farther than my fenderwell.. and hold a 10" sub. if i turn it up, it will rearrange all my mirrors for me.. too much for my taste, hence getting a smaller amp..

DSC02698.jpg

Edited by kodi3482

They make 6x9 subwoofers. They are very expensive though. They should fit in the stock location in the roof. You could also just get a 6" subwoofer with 4 ohm impedence, make a hole in the roof and just wire it in the the deck. This is, or rather, was my plan!

They make 6x9 subwoofers. They are very expensive though. They should fit in the stock location in the roof. You could also just get a 6" subwoofer with 4 ohm impedence, make a hole in the roof and just wire it in the the deck. This is, or rather, was my plan!

the roof doesn't make a very good "box" it will rattle and sound like crap.

this is my setup.. amp was going to go behind the panel and box but it was physically too big.. getting a smaller amp to hide..

wouldn't say mysetup is hidden tho..just custom.. it takes up less room than the spare tire, doesn't stick out any farther than my fenderwell.. and hold a 10" sub. if i turn it up, it will rearrange all my mirrors for me.. too much for my taste, hence getting a smaller amp..

DSC02698.jpg

I like that setup!

I used to have the speaker pods in that location but I might do something like that now that I am relocating the speakers into the roof.

You could build a false floor and get a pair of those slim subs, I know you probably want to use what you have but sometimes it isn't possible. I have a single 12" in mine and was thinking of building a false floor/storage box that my amp would mount under (probably with a pusher/pull fan setup) and I was thinking of cutting an opening the size of the box behind the pass. seat that the sub box would sit in, that way only part of the box would stick up and the false floor could still be used to carry what ever I need too.

Another way to mount your subs depending on how big of an enclosure they require would be to mold a box out of fiberglass to mount mostly below the side panels, possibly only sticking past the front of the panel as little as is necessary. The subs require a certain volume but nothing says the enclosure needs to be a square, possibly stretch out each enclosure to be longer and thinner.

Ive got 2 Fusion 12" and a farely big amp. Set up takes a little over half of my cargo space.

Browsing the interwebs abit today i noticed they now make door size speakers that fit the side of your door speakers. Has anyone ever heard or tried these before? iam abit skeptical, but those would be nice to consider for a future project.

You could build a false floor and get a pair of those slim subs, I know you probably want to use what you have but sometimes it isn't possible. I have a single 12" in mine and was thinking of building a false floor/storage box that my amp would mount under (probably with a pusher/pull fan setup) and I was thinking of cutting an opening the size of the box behind the pass. seat that the sub box would sit in, that way only part of the box would stick up and the false floor could still be used to carry what ever I need too.

I like that idea because you can kinda have a storage/tool box up the front and hide an amp in there and have a sub in there of coarse a grill to protect it but yeh its a neat space saving method.

A] Back in the day, my buddy had a 4Runner with 3 12's and a 1001D Xtant amp. Long story short, a false floor was made to house the amp and subs so there was still cargo space the length of the rear area but reduced ~10" vertically. You could try something like that.

B] I just made this "enclosure" for a spare 8" sub I had lying around. You could try something like this in your rear panels, if they'll hold.

6671331193_38186e23b1.jpg

Update: I couldn't get that 8" sub to sound right, probably due to a combination of a 10+ year old amp plus too much open air for the sub by removing the tray/pocket inside that compartment. I could have tried a new amp plus sealing up that compartment plus add polyfill, but I chose to use another sub & amp I had.

Sorry for the cross-post but here's my post from the "What did you do to your PFinder today...":

Well, I didn't like the way the 8" RF Punch sounded so I pulled one of the 12" Kenwoods I had from another sub box and built a new box for it that goes up over the wheel well. Then carpeted it with tan carpet (actually the back side of some Mossy Oak camo carpet found at Wal-Mart) to match the cargo area. Then wired up another, more powerful amp in the same spot as the old one.

6750947023_e870b6dbae.jpg