pathfinder dies when cold

tarzan15

So I put the car into reverse today and the engine promptly died after about moving backward 3 feet. I started it again, and the same thing happened.

I started it a third time.... gave it about 30 seconds to warm up, pressing the gas a bit, and then it worked just fine.

It has a new cap/rotor/plugs/wires.

Any suggestions?

Air filter was replaced probably 6 months ago. I'll probably pop the box open and check it out.

I have no idea when the MAS was last cleaned, so I'll give that a look.

I also have a (maybe) related problem where when I start the car the whole car shakes for about 30 seconds and the check engine light comes on. After the car has been running for about 30 seconds, it stops and the light goes away. Do you think its related?

Air filter was replaced probably 6 months ago. I'll probably pop the box open and check it out.

I also have a (maybe) related problem where when I start the car the whole car shakes for about 30 seconds and the check engine light comes on. After the car has been running for about 30 seconds, it stops and the light goes away. Do you think its related?

wow. thanks for waiting until now to mention that. LOL

94 has a point, that's kinda like getting halfway through an episode of House before finding out the patient is a crystal meth tweaker. :blink:

If it's running like crap, I'd expect it to stall out. Even if it's not related, it seems like something to fix. Check the ECU codes. I'm not sure what would cause 30 sec of shuddering. Fuel delivery issue, maybe? The shuddering might be one or the other injector rail not getting fuel... my dad found a leak in the pipe going between them on mine, if that was somehow draining the fuel from one side, it would run like crap until it got fuel back to that bank. I'm just blowing smoke here, though. (Fuel filter?)

Also, how cold are we talking about? When mine gets really cold (sitting outside all night at eight degrees F) I have to let it warm up a little before putting it in gear or the RPM dips and surges.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Mine used to do that, except it wouldn't die. When I checked the codes I got an injector code. Check the codes because even if the CEL is off now the code will still be saved in the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this problem happen in drive at all? or just when reversing, Does it happen all the time? or once in awhile?

Do you have crappy oil in it lol? the whole "Shaking when it starts" almost sounds like crappy oil that is cold and takes a few seconds before it actually starts flowing.