ROTTEN EGGS

918pathy

I need some input please, My truck was running fine earlier today then this afternoon the check engine light came on and the engine started sputtering at idle it went away while driveing. Then went to run a errand later this evening it ran fine at idle no issue, but when i got out on the street it sputtered liked mad and back fired a couple of times and would go over 35 mph there was even a hint of rotten eggs smell what in the heck happened any input is greatly appreciated

Edited by 918pathy

defiantly suggest starting with a code check.

Was it the exhaust that had the egg smell or inside the truck? From the world of DSMs rotten egg smell inside the vehicle is generally a bad sign your ECU fried out, but they are known for goein south, not so much in wd21s (though not something to rule out)

defiantly suggest starting with a code check.

Was it the exhaust that had the egg smell or inside the truck? From the world of DSMs rotten egg smell inside the vehicle is generally a bad sign your ECU fried out, but they are known for goein south, not so much in wd21s (though not something to rule out)

The egg smell came from the inside and my son who was with me at the timesmelled it first in the truck and when he exited the truck

I just went and looked and it looks like i need to take the seat out to access it, but i did notice a wire with a blue plug in type plug on it and it was disconected (if that made sense).

Typically a rotten egg smell is too much fuel or a bad cat causing the catalytic converter to send a lot of sulfer smell out of the exhaust.

But you said you smelled it inside so it could be electrical but i don't think i have ever heard anyone talk about that smell inside the cabin at least in the wd21 world.

Now you could have an exhaust leak causing the smell going into the cab either by rust on the floor board(Not very common) or the transfercase rubber boot seems they always rip after time and it under the leather cover so you never see it and they allow exahust fumes to come up.

Edited by wd21overland

you don't need to remove the seat, afaik, just slide it all the way forward and pull the tilt lever, should have plenty of room to access the slot you need to turn and view the lights on the ECU, you can also read the blinks on the dashboard CEL dummy as well!

you don't need to remove the seat, afaik, just slide it all the way forward and pull the tilt lever, should have plenty of room to access the slot you need to turn and view the lights on the ECU

This didn't personally work for me. Personally, with ANY contorting of the seat, I don't see any way possible to bend one's wrist 130+ degrees and mess with the ecu. I cut myself up really bad trying to get to that damn ECU. Just get a 12mm socket and take the seat out. It takes all of 3 mins. Hell, you'll probably find some lost quarters and make profit.

I would bet on the egg smell being a nasty cat. This is a point of maintenance that is often overlooked. Unless you know a few nifty tricks, the cat is hard to check without removing half your exhaust system. I was in an SUV about a year ago when I smelled some nasty stuff. The driver mumbled something about the catalytic converter but I didn't know anything about cars back then so I just opened the window.

Start by checking your cat. I think I heard that these trucks (or most cats in general) are supposed to have a 100F difference between the inlet and outlet of the cat. I bought a digital infrared thermometer off Amazon.com for like $11. It works pretty well I guess.

Thank you guys for your input, if it is a fuel issue what would be the cause of it. When i looked under the hood I did smell gas but did not think much of it at the time. frustration must of made me overlook that and the fact i am not a very good mechanic, but learning :aok:

I'd be surprised if a cat went bad that suddenly.

And yeah, you might be able to get to the ECU on a two-door with the tilting seats, but on a four-door, unbolt it and pull it out. I didn't just find quarters, I found the PO's french fry collection. :thumbsdown:

I am going to check the ECU this morning and see what codes i get. I did not see it listed under the codes int that list, but would a blocked catalytic conveter cause a check engine light? I will see what i come up with and let you guys know

This didn't personally work for me. Personally, with ANY contorting of the seat, I don't see any way possible to bend one's wrist 130+ degrees and mess with the ecu. I cut myself up really bad trying to get to that damn ECU. Just get a 12mm socket and take the seat out. It takes all of 3 mins. Hell, you'll probably find some lost quarters and make profit.

I would bet on the egg smell being a nasty cat. This is a point of maintenance that is often overlooked. Unless you know a few nifty tricks, the cat is hard to check without removing half your exhaust system. I was in an SUV about a year ago when I smelled some nasty stuff. The driver mumbled something about the catalytic converter but I didn't know anything about cars back then so I just opened the window.

Start by checking your cat. I think I heard that these trucks (or most cats in general) are supposed to have a 100F difference between the inlet and outlet of the cat. I bought a digital infrared thermometer off Amazon.com for like $11. It works pretty well I guess.

I just tilted my seat back foward then slided the seat foward and opened the rear door and i had perfect access to the ecu removing the seat is a waste of time no reason.

I was able to get the code and it the red light 3 times and then right after it the green light flashed 3 times, so if i am reading it correctly it is a code 33 which is a heated O2 sensor my next question is that a easy one to replace

would it be located just before the catalytic conveter or is it elsewhere? I traced the one from the cat. converter all the way up to where it plugs in at by the fuse box on the Pass. side engine it has 3 wires, would that be the sensor in Question

sweet, that should be easy for even me to change. Atleast its nothing to serious, I have driven around a little bit today and seems to be running normal none of the sputtering or backfiring and no unusaul smells wierd :shrug:

it could of been bad gas :shrug: and i will check the connection and clean it to see if that helps.

Thanks again guys for all of your input, man with the wealth of knowledge of all you guy my truck will running like champ (it runs good now) but it is getting there. Thanks again guys :aok: