Need help!

Purec4

The 89 I purchased 2days ago will not engage 4wd lo or hi. Is there any electrical portion of the auto locking hubs that can be the problem? I found a burned wire wire on the pass side wheel well comes out of a harness of only two wires, yellow and black. There are several harness plugs in this group that are near a series of relays mounted all mounted there. These two wires run down the firewall and I didnt traced them any further as I ran out of daylight. Any ideas , anyone? :shrug:

The 89 I purchased 2days ago will not engage 4wd lo or hi. Is there any electrical portion of the auto locking hubs that can be the problem? I found a burned wire wire on the pass side wheel well comes out of a harness of only two wires, yellow and black. There are several harness plugs in this group that are near a series of relays mounted all mounted there. These two wires run down the firewall and I didnt traced them any further as I ran out of daylight. Any ideas , anyone? :shrug:

Try pushing the shifter towards the floor. That seems to be a facepalm problem.

auto hubs have no electrical components whatsoever.

That burned wire you are referring to is your oil pressure sender unit wire. I suggest to get it fixed, but your engine won't blow up without it.

Yep the 4 wheel drive systems, excluding the 4wd indicator light, is all mechanical. Its possible that there is a problem with the auto locking hubs, or maybe a linkage problem with the lever. Not too sure, but I'm sure someone with more knocklege will be able to help you out. Good luck!

Nothing is happening, not even lights on the dash that indicate its working. I'll go try and push down and see if that works and let you know. There is no owners manual with the Pathy.

Nothing is happening, not even lights on the dash that indicate its working. I'll go try and push down and see if that works and let you know. There is no owners manual with the Pathy.

check the driver's side sun visor. Flip it down. Idk about 89s, but it might have 4x4 instructions.

It can sometimes take driving back and forward to get the auto hubs to lock. also it may be locking in and the bulb is burned out.

if you have tools jack one tire on the front end, turn the key to on and lock the tcase in 4x4, then try turning the tire. the d-shaft tries to spin and stops then everything is locked in and you should be good to go, repeat to see if the other hub is locking.

no. don't turn the car on. you shouldn't be in a car when it's on the jacks. Much less have it turned on. You can still do everything to engage 4x4 without the engine being on. The t-case will still go into 4wd and the hubs will still lock.

Thank you all. Thats what it was...... OPERATOR ERROR :blond: No lights on the dash but the tires spun on the wet grass so I know it engaged. Grinding when I went to go back to two wheel drive, but has not been used in 6 mon to a year. So I'm thinking it needs some use. Now if I can find the oil leak! :ohno01: