power drain

1990pathy

so i noticed my pathfinder stated doing this weird thing.....so i start it and it starts to idle up and down and when it does this the volt meter in my dash fluctuates from 13v to 9v fluttering back and forth.... wtf i can make it stop if i turn the key like im going to start it but only turn it like a 1/4 turn not to make the starter function.. has anyone had this problem before??? any help would be awsome thanks.. and sorry if im not explaining it very well...

from my experience most altenators wont charge unless the engine is up to a certain rpm. so it could be that the change in rpm is being cause by something else ie. a vacumm leak or something. and the voltage dropping is simple cause the engine isnt turning fast enough to charge the battery.

from my experience most altenators wont charge unless the engine is up to a certain rpm. so it could be that the change in rpm is being cause by something else ie. a vacumm leak or something. and the voltage dropping is simple cause the engine isnt turning fast enough to charge the battery.

Dead wrong. A good alternator will always charge at idle.

It hasn't done it in a few days! And the alternator is less than a year old. It's not a knock off brand either, it's new oem... I did notice the front windshield has started to leak right above the steering wheel when it rains hard!!!! Maybe water is getting on the fuse box!!! I don't know..

Check out my thread in the alt swap problems. Its a voltage problem that does not want to get fixed. I think i got it, but i have to a drive cycle first. Will update my thread tomorrow night to make sure it got fixed.