Sticky Speedometer

Dieselboy

I was going to title this post "Sticky Speedo" but that just generates a bunch of mental images I really don't want to live with, lol!

So . . .

My speedo gauge is sticking. Spool the engine up to around 120 km/h and the gauge may sit at around 105 and then leap to 120 km/h as if I've got a jet afterburner strapped to the roof!

Deceleration is the same issue. I was doing around 60 km/h and it told me I was doing 95 km/h. Stopped in traffic I was apparently still doing 20 km/h.

Its very slow to respond and seems to get hung up and then release.

I think its a mechanical issue with the speedo gauge because a firm smack on the dashboard above the instrument cluster get's the needle to move, though it takes about 4 or 5 smacks to get the needle down from 20 to 0 when I'm stationary. And I can't be driving around accelerating and decelerating and constantly pounding the dashboard! People would think I'm nuts, plus its kinda inconvenient and dangerous!

Anyone experienced the sticking speedometer issue before, and have any solutions?

Haven't pulled the instrument cluster yet to have a look but thought I'd ask here first. Does the gauge need lubricating - light watch oil or something? Silicone? How would you go about this?

Maybe you had sticky soda in a cupholder and it splashed all over your dash!!! :friday:

May be, but this Terrano is new to me, and I haven't spilled anything yet, apart from some blood (don't ask!) and some oil getting the oil filter out. Even more of a PITA on this diesel than the VG30E!

Anyway, I'll have a poke around tomorrow. Gauge seemed to be running a little bit easier today, though still binding in places. Got a suspicion that it may be the speedo gauge needle itself that's got a bit of a down-curve to it and is rubbing on the face plate. Seen a couple of old posts mention that as a problem.

Seems the truck was used/kept in a pretty hot climate back in Japan before I imported by some of the UV effects on the interior plastic. May be the needle "melted"?