Rear wobble on 94 Pathy

94TroutKiller

Hello,

I noticed that while driving my 94 Pathy (5 speed) especially while doing anything above 40 mph, you can feel the rear end wobble towards the right. I inspected the rear upper and lower control arms, but they seem to be fine. Then again I will not be 100 percent sure until they are removed and fully inspected. Has anyone else had this issue? I did perform a search but only found this occured on 96 models (the death wobble) and above.

94TroutKiller

Hello,

I noticed that while driving my 94 Pathy (5 speed) especially while doing anything above 40 mph, you can feel the rear end wobble towards the right. I inspected the rear upper and lower control arms, but they seem to be fine. Then again I will not be 100 percent sure until they are removed and fully inspected. Has anyone else had this issue? I did perform a search but only found this occured on 96 models (the death wobble) and above.

94TroutKiller

The death wobble is pretty common on Nissan Pathfinders and trucks (the older ones at least). When they get to be a little bit older, like 15-20 years old, bushings and things start to go bad. Well, start, by that time they have usually been bad for a good while.

there is a video of Mr. Jim replacing his front sway bar bushings because he had some wobble and unstable steering, but that was for the front. I'm not sure about the back.

So, when you go above 40mph, you can feel the bad end wobbling, feeling unstable, jumping around a little more than it should? First of all, I would check lug nuts. Something as simple as that can be overlooked very easily. Also, check your coil springs.

The death wobble is pretty common on Nissan Pathfinders and trucks (the older ones at least). When they get to be a little bit older, like 15-20 years old, bushings and things start to go bad. Well, start, by that time they have usually been bad for a good while.

there is a video of Mr. Jim replacing his front sway bar bushings because he had some wobble and unstable steering, but that was for the front. I'm not sure about the back.

So, when you go above 40mph, you can feel the bad end wobbling, feeling unstable, jumping around a little more than it should? First of all, I would check lug nuts. Something as simple as that can be overlooked very easily. Also, check your coil springs.

I just rotated the tires and torqed them just last week, so that can be checked off the list. I can feel the vehicle wobble the most when shifting gears while driving down the road. The rear end feels like it torques towards the passenger side during the shift. Like you mentioned, I don't doubt that since it is a 94 those bushing are bad, so in saying that, the same would apply to the front and rear coil springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for some energy suspension bushings! they are pretty inexpensive.. check your rear anti-roll bar as well (if it's still there).

Gents,

I changed the bushings, unfortunately I could not get my hands on good polyurathane ones. It did fix the wobble issue though, I just hope they don't crap out too soon.

thanks!