Rust repairs

jwmyers23

Are pics loading or didnt you fix the rocker panel rust?

He asked how he should fix it.

WOW!!! That's some amazing work. That frame is probably the worst I've ever seen and now it looks new again!! That's some magic right there. How did you do that? Some 3/8 sheet metal wrapped around the old frame?

Chop out the bad stuff, chop a new section out of a junker, weld it up? With a little grinding/putty you could get it looking right again. How's the spot under your rear seats? If it's holey too, might as well cut both patches at the same time.

Your rust makes me feel much better about mine!

Before/after (different sides, same deal):

P1010020-4.jpgP1010007-8.jpg

Left this alone until I can weld it myself:

P1010029-3.jpg

Rear floor (don't have a before pic, but I could put my fist through it):

P1010029-2.jpg

Edited by Slartibartfast

Completed the frame rust repair on the passenger side frame rail. Rusted out all the way from the front upper suspension mount to past the front door! I need to rebuild the 2nd passenger side body mount and prep it all for paint before I put it all back together, and rotate the whole mess around so I can work on the drivers side next. I need a new bottle of Argon! Ospho and Hammerite are my bestest buddies these days...

As you all can see, the rail is completely trashed. It was literally full of rust as I started to open it up. I picked up this Hardbody to be my winter beater, but I didn't realize how beat it was when I got it. Thank goodness it hasn't started snowing here in Chicago yet. The passenger rail was completely rotted out from the upper suspension mount all the way to past the door. I had to cut out the rust on the side of the frame, and on the bottom where it had rusted out. The entire side and much of the bottom is new between the suspension mount and body mount. Beyond that, I cut out old frame rust until it was about even with the center of the holes on the sides of the rails. The last photos show it treated with Ospho so it won't rust until I can get more Argon and grinding wheels, and get back at it next weekend. I put 20+' of bead down. I bought a 4x4' sheet of 1/8" sheet. I had to recreate large portions of the frame. I'd say the repair is about 6' long from start to finish. I was able to cut out all the rust and get to solid steel, but every once in a while I'd hit a thin or weak spot and blow holes where only a 1/4" away things are solid. Chalk it up to bad technique, but even as I was getting the feel of everthing, I don't think it was all operator error. I could see up into the bottom of the rail to make sure I wasn't just welding into rust, so the corrosion/contamination is within the steel itself. It really does give credence to the assertions that frames on 95s are garbage metal. As you all can see, I'm not a master welder, not by a long shot. I got a lot better from the start of this project to the end. I compensated for my lack of welding skill with lots of time on the grinder, grinding the welds flush to anneal the metal, and to locate any areas with poor fusion, so they can be ground out and rewelded. All the patches are butt welding into place. Fitting the pieces into place was tedious to the point of being maddening. If any of you all attempt a project like this, all I can say is that tightly fitted and properly prepared (clean, and beveled) joints greatly increase your success in getting complete fusion. Thank goodness I have a 220V Mig welder, a plasma cutter, lots of clamps, lots of grinding wheels, an anvil and several BFHs. The work you see is about 7 full days of work time, mostly on patch fabrication, and weld grinding. There is still much work to do before its ready for paint.

Added Photos:

Before:

IMG_1198.jpg

After much cutting and welding and grinding:

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

After much more grinding, and cutting out and rewelding areas with incomplete fusion. It needs more work on the bottom of the rail still, but I am out of Argon and grinding wheels... I wonder if Airgas has a cyber monday deal?

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Chop out the bad stuff, chop a new section out of a junker, weld it up? With a little grinding/putty you could get it looking right again. How's the spot under your rear seats? If it's holey too, might as well cut both patches at the same time.

Your rust makes me feel much better about mine!

Before/after (different sides, same deal):

P1010020-4.jpgP1010007-8.jpg

Left this alone until I can weld it myself:

P1010029-3.jpg

Rear floor (don't have a before pic, but I could put my fist through it):

P1010029-2.jpg

Under the rear pass. seat and the floor board were both rusted out. I don't have any pics of the fix yet.

I live in Nor cal but :yeahthat:

I live in NY but...wait...damn.. :[

Sad news guys, she has just been diagnosed with a rare form of rear frame rust cancer that only seems to affect trucks in the salt belt states. I wonder why... :chairfall:

Oh well, in other news, the frame is solid and she runs like a champ :dance:

WOW!!! That's some amazing work. That frame is probably the worst I've ever seen and now it looks new again!! That's some magic right there. How did you do that? Some 3/8 sheet metal wrapped around the old frame?

I cut out the frame rail top to bottom and from the body mount by the rear doors all the way out the back. I used 10 gauge steel to make the patches and welded them in.

I'm sure most of you know that frames don't like angles cut in them. That is why the holes in frames are round. Just be careful if you are just patching in a small section in the middle of the frame rail.

I'm sure most of you know that frames don't like angles cut in them. That is why the holes in frames are round. Just be careful if you are just patching in a small section in the middle of the frame rail.

Because of stress concentration? Given the condition of some of these frames before repair... probably that is a small worry! :)