Engine swap (Again) and SAS

Well.. here's the story, I haven't been off roading in a long time and figured I should go before it snows too much, about a month ago while out at Utah Lake with some friends, I was testing out my new SL and managed to seize my VG33. Just my luck.The only time I go on my only day off. Puddle wasn't even deep.. Oh well.

Here's the plan.

I figured since I'll be pulling the engine why not get rid of the front end? I'm tired of messing with it, parts wearing out, alignment issues etc.

88 Jeep Wagoneer axle

Coil Over's

3 Link

Rear end will have 4.9 gears with an xterra 3rd member.

For the motor I was thinking either another 90's VG33, 2000's VG33R or 350SBC. I'm leaning towards the VG33 or VG33R due to finance's.

I have the time, tools so why not?

What do you guys think?

Update: motor is almost out. Just need to loosen the motor mounts and she's out. I'm having a hard time finding the VG33R around here, having very good luck with VG33's and not so good of luck with the axle either..

Try taking apart your seized motor and building a VG34E out of it. :D

I do plan on taking it apart and seeing what happened to it.. I'm thinking the piston welded itself to the block. I won't have access to a picker until wednesday, so the engine will come out then.

I do plan on taking it apart and seeing what happened to it.. I'm thinking the piston welded itself to the block.

From your first post it sounds like it was hydrolocked, how can a piston freeze weld too the block from that?

• 2 weeks later...

update, interior is all out, rhino lining is bought, some parts have been sanded and rhino lined already. Engine is out, still haven't pulled it apart yet. Will be relocating the ecu to a better spot.

Here's pics, here's a link to more pics. My link

15462527_orginial.jpg

Edited by thehuntersam

• 1 month later...

I feel ya...

I am in the process of deciding what to do about my tired motor... tons of GM stuff available around here, not interested in putting a low powered motor back in if I have to pull it out....

You going full width front?

• 2 weeks later...

I feel ya...

I am in the process of deciding what to do about my tired motor... tons of GM stuff available around here, not interested in putting a low powered motor back in if I have to pull it out....

You going full width front?

Yeah if you're low on cash like me, do the VG33 swap, it will keep ya happy for the most part.

I managed to tare down some of the motor today and what I found was... 2 bent connecting rods! Not sure if the piston's are welded to the block yet, still need to pull the head off but so far it's not looking pretty..

D: ouch!!! i forget, what motor is going in this beast? :bounce:

er derp, guess i should have read the first post again... -_- anyway. i can't wait to see it/ hear it.

Edited by Kyle94

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I have been on, still haven't bought a motor yet, due to lack of funds. Although, inside is ready for rhino lining now, just gotta spray it down. Ecu relocation is almost done, just need to clean up the wiring harness and finish the mounts. Still tossing around the idea of a 4.3 or a V8. I have gained access to some motors that would be about the same cost as a VG33.

im sticking with a nissan motor... i like them. :) the only thing non nissan i have/ever plan to put in mine is a Taurus efan. and i like V6. itll be getting a vg33 in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought a motor, trans, and transfer-case. How does a 305 V8 sound? With a turbo 350 and an NP205. Bought leaf springs for front and rear. Still deciding on sticking to D44 or D60. Guess money will tell. This is just the beginning. I will be picking everything this weekend, stay tuned for pics!!.

I would have choose a 350 any day, but for the price,it made up for it. To each their own. I have a daily driver already, pathfinder has always been my daily driver so why not make it my full time off road rig?

305 v8... good luck. :)

(myself, not to enthused about it) but sounds like a fun project nontheless.

While I like Nissan engines, there is nothing I wouldn't swap a small block Chevy into. Ease of maintenance, parts availability, torque for days.

What are you going to do for engine management?

• 7 years later...

update to an old thread, life happened. Got a new truck after this, and other life stuff, long story short, sold the whole project minus the pathfinder, ended up with another VG33 and have since put it back in the pathfinder, currently not running but soon.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, thehuntersam said:

update to an old thread, life happened. Got a new truck after this, and other life stuff, long story short, sold the whole project minus the pathfinder, ended up with another VG33 and have since put it back in the pathfinder, currently not running but soon.

That's one heck of a comeback, 8 years later!! Don't forget to update here as it comes along!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1