Custom Center Console

iceageg

Wow, this cup holder thing is outta control! I'm gonna stick my kneck out here on this one for a little TRUE STORY comic relief. I built a cup holder for my 87 yesterday in 5 minutes. This is how:

First things first. I found a random piece of interior plastic in a Walmart parking lot. It looks like it came out of a console. It was rectangle with a square hole in the middle.

Then I placed it ontop of my console. It only hung over by an inch on all four sides.

Next I grabbed a round Rubbermaid container i used to take walnuts for a snack. I ate all the walnuts and placed this round container in the square hole. Then I though "damn a little wood and fiberglass" ... Jk, so then

I got my sunglasses out of the glove box and I removed them out of the silk black bag thing. I then placed that inside the container like a liner. Then I assembled my new Rubbermaid, Oakley, Honda console into my pathfinder console.

It fits a 20 oz bottle, or a 12 oz can perfectly!

And if haters are h8'n, then I can throw the whole thing in a recycling bin (after recouping that sunglasses bag of course)

Yeah, it's the most kick-ass cup holder ever! Genius, I know :D

Let me just add this

2BB36C8D.jpg

38E751C9.jpg

9AFF23FF.jpg

It may not be the cleanest but it gets the job done :D

where do i get?! thatd be perfect for me! i might get one or two, since the ones in my center console have long since been broken and i dont like the position anyway!! :D please tell!!!

For the concealed holsters, are you going to make a universal type or specific gun? I mounted a old uncle mikes paddle holster in my titan console, but it will only hold my 1911. Most paddle holsters bolt to the paddle so I just drilled two holes inside the console and bolted it in there.

Picture025resized.jpg

Titan has a big ass console though.

James

To the OP, didnt read your whole first post, but whats with the little cubby on the rear, just a random little cubby or is it a ash tray. Or am I seeing it wrong and its just an opening too the big empty space under the consal?

The little pocket in the back is sealed. It is just the right size for the kids to put a Nintendo DS or doodle pad and a couple of pens in. No plans or need for an ash tray.

For the concealed holsters, are you going to make a universal type or specific gun? I mounted a old uncle mikes paddle holster in my titan console, but it will only hold my 1911. Most paddle holsters bolt to the paddle so I just drilled two holes inside the console and bolted it in there.

Titan has a big ass console though.

James

The holsters will be a universal semi-auto. More of a pistol shaped compartment. I am using my XD-M as the basis to ensure that pretty much whatever I decide to carry that day will fit. The fit can always be adjusted with padding to suit something smaller. The intent is to have it easily accessible without the discomfort of having it concealed on my person. IWB carry in the small of the back or on the hip can get a bit uncomfortable for medium to long trips.

Somebody asked earlier about the switches in the console, While there is only one slot used in my vehicle I did leave room and account for all four slots. Contributing to the general OT banter, I generaly try to avoid distractions while driving. Drinks generaly stay in the grocery bags until they get home or to the game/park/picnic/camp site. I even pull over to use my cell phone. All a cupholder is to me is an extra spot to collect change. For the guy on page 2 who has a console for sale, mine is a manual and my wife is now set on her custom console instead of a stock one. Thanks for letting me know though.

where do i get?! thatd be perfect for me! i might get one or two, since the ones in my center console have long since been broken and i dont like the position anyway!! :D please tell!!!

It looks almost identical to the ones that come in Cirrus aircraft. I am sure they would sell some to you but the cost of aircraft parts usually prohibitivly expensive. A quick search of the internet turned up these on ebay, a random site, another site, or this site, or google.

Seems I may have options for a cup holder if desired anyway.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update . . .

It seems like every time I get one project finished two more pop up. Progress on the console has been slow, but it is continueing. I have the holsters glassed and trimmed to fit. Just need to get them lined then I can fit them in and glass the rest of the exterior. My wife decided on painting it flat black rather than trying to match the blue of the interior. It has black seat covers front and back anyway.

All of that will have to wait one day longer as the preasure line for the power steering has decided to start leaking . . . quite badly. Could be worse. I could have a car payment on something I am afraid to scratch and lack the computer science degree to work on.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering if there are any console updates? I just found this post, which has been informative, thought provoking, a little frustrating, but DEFINITELY entertaining, all at once! Great ideas about your console, I love creating things that suit my lifestyle better than something stock (just started on a custom CB enclosure to go on top of the radio stack on my '93). And I like seeing what other people have created too, gives me great ideas!

Keep up the good work, would love some more pics!