Pathfinder 0-100 Video

Really? My VQ has been reliable...show me the proof that the VG is more reliable. :shrug:

They both are good motors in their own way. I have a 2003 Maxima with VQ35 and my Pathy with VG33.Well my maxima is all abt performance with little mods here and there.Maxima has been pretty solid but its little bit on the high maintenance side like for changing spark plugs the upper intake gotta come off, and nissan went little cheap on the valve covers which is plastic and seem to crack and the oil will fill up the spark plug holes.I am also a member of the maxima forum and the VQ35 is notorious for burning oil.The 01-04 Pathys are known for rear main seal which is a expensive repair.From 99.5-00 are sluggish when it comes to acceleration...oh and the valve cover gasket on both sides are known to leak.

The 01-04 Pathys are known for rear main seal which is a expensive repair.

Oh man, I hear you on that one... my rear main leaked once at 1720 miles then started leaking again somewhere around 120k miles, ~$1100 to R&R. My upper oil pan gasket was also leaking, that was $400. No oil burning though, so I'm happy.

The VG33 in my rusted 1997 Pathy (see other thread) is completely bulletproof mechanically, but not electrically. I have had endless problems with sensors failing for seemingly no reason. I'm on my 3rd MAF in 10,000 miles.

The engine itself is as tight as the day it was built, and it probably has another decade of service to offer. It's a tragedy that the metal (body) and electrics surrounding it aren't of the same quality.

The VQ is a top performer, so of course it needs more attention...great vid!

I have had both VG & VQ. I miss my VG, mostly due to its gutsy never give up feeling. I have JWT S1 cams and they livened up the load...but never to be confused with my VQ.

.....I am not looking forward to the RMS leak, but I already have the valve cover thing on the drivers side...dang expensive covers for fiberglass huh?

~01Silvapathy~

Your vid shows the path running an 8 sec 0-60....this is exactly what the car mags qouted them at back in the day! This was faster or as fast as the Tahoe which was a huge deal at the time!!

Edited by 02silverpathy

Why does my VQ burn mass amounts of oil!?!?! :headwall:

Biggest disapointment ever!

Check your power valve screws - if any are missing, there's your problem. Put red threadlocker on them, and maybe while you're down there replace the PCV valve. See this how-to. I think if that doesn't help I think you need to replace the passenger side valve cover. Read here.

Those videos are very impressive. For some heavy ass SUVs (I guess that's what SUV means, right? haha) those things can go.

As far as the whole reliability comparison, I'm sure both engines have a few flaws. I know the VG series pretty well and for the most part, they are rock solid. They are very low maintenance though. I think this is mostly because of their low compression. If you want a higher performance engine, then stuff is gonna break more often.

With the VQs, I don't think they have been around long enough to make a blanket statement like that. The VQ engines are bigger, have higher compression, and are much more complicated as a whole. With all sorts of requirements (emissions, fuel efficiency, not using certain materials) it is probably a bit hard to "make 'em like they used to".

And who knows, the government might be paying off Nissan to make lower quality products? The government does it with corn farmers.

Maybe this type of thing happened in the early 80s when the VGs were coming out? the Z24, or Z series, was amazing. Did people instantly love the VG? Probably not, but look at us now.

It still took around 13 seconds to get to 60.....I couldnt live with that. Atleast not with my driving habits :handlebars:

I bet yours with 35's isn't that far off of that right now !!!!! you still have 4.3 gears right ??

I SMELL A CHALLENGE VIDEO COMING UP ?????

Edited by PaMountianbiker

It still took around 13 seconds to get to 60.....I couldnt live with that. Atleast not with my driving habits :handlebars:

Yeah, it's slow, but it gets the job done. It's mostly a wheeler, so I don't really care how fast it is, as long as it'll cruise comfortably between 60-70mph. Which is does. My daily is a 1987 Nissan 200SX (s12) with a vg30e. So, that satisfies my need for speed plenty!

Edited by silverton

I don't know about you guys but my 91 Pathfinder will hit 60 mph in under 11 seconds. That number would be even lower if the tires were smaller. I just need a way to mount the camera properly so I can record a good video of it. It's not the fastest SUV on the road today but it does not burn oil or need any major repairs every now and then.

On that note, I have yet to see Nissan put a VR38 into a Pathfinder.

Falls flat on it's face around 75MPH in 4th, but mine would do 0-60 with a good launch (not like this video) in around 8-9 seconds. It's surprisingly easy to boil the tires...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZreCfSFG084

Who the hell is going to buy a new GTR engine and put it in a...Pathfinder...? :crazy:

Edited by Kingman

lol i said nissan should build a pathy with a VR38 and 75 i can get past 100 just fine but it stops trying at around 85 for me because of the poor aerodynamics

fyi the gt-r is a heavy pig but that doesn't stop it from getting to 60 in under 3 seconds