How many miles?

craftsman67

Don't worry about a measly 240k. Ever since I got into Nissans, I've been really interested in how long they really last. It's actually ridiculous how long they can go.

It's not uncommon of them to last up to and above 500k miles. Like Trogdor said, just do the maintenance. Change the oil and timing belt. That's all you REALLY have to do. You might want to go a little further, if you're that type of person. Changing spark plugs and wires would help, along with the air filter and other general stuff like that. Doing seals every now and again wouldn't hurt.

These things really do last forever. Oil, oil, oil. That's all there is to it. For some reason, people really underestimate oil. "Oh, I can change the oil tomorrow. It won't matter. Oh I'll do it next week. Oh, I'm finally doing it. Let me use this cheapo-crap oil." <--That's how you break your stuff.

Oh yeah, coolant too. That's pretty important. It's a 50/50 split. Coolant and oil are equally important. It's easy to let coolant slip under the radar because it's usually checked much less often.

If you need more convincing, let me tell you some stories. I know it's not the VG30i, but my dad had a 1983 Nissan 720 with the z24. That truck had 260k when the odometer broke. He estimates he put another 40k miles on it before it was totaled in 1999. 300k miles and not a single problem to complain of. These kinds of stories span across all of Nissan's vehicles and engines.

If you go on 4x4parts.com and look in the forums, there is a thread asking how many miles people have put on their trucks. The numbers never stop. 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, 500k, 600k easy.

Let me put it like this...everything else will be gone long before the engine.

I'm at 297k and it is still running strong. as long as you do the timing belt and keep the fluids clean you should be good for a long time.

Don't know when, or if the timing belt was changed. Purring like a kitten now, with a new throttle body rebuild and all new senors...best it has run since I bought it more than 2 years ago. I would imagine it would have needed one before now...Right?

Don't worry about a measly 240k. Ever since I got into Nissans, I've been really interested in how long they really last. It's actually ridiculous how long they can go.

It's not uncommon of them to last up to and above 500k miles. Like Trogdor said, just do the maintenance. Change the oil and timing belt. That's all you REALLY have to do. You might want to go a little further, if you're that type of person. Changing spark plugs and wires would help, along with the air filter and other general stuff like that. Doing seals every now and again wouldn't hurt.

These things really do last forever. Oil, oil, oil. That's all there is to it. For some reason, people really underestimate oil. "Oh, I can change the oil tomorrow. It won't matter. Oh I'll do it next week. Oh, I'm finally doing it. Let me use this cheapo-crap oil." <--That's how you break your stuff.

Oh yeah, coolant too. That's pretty important. It's a 50/50 split. Coolant and oil are equally important. It's easy to let coolant slip under the radar because it's usually checked much less often.

If you need more convincing, let me tell you some stories. I know it's not the VG30i, but my dad had a 1983 Nissan 720 with the z24. That truck had 260k when the odometer broke. He estimates he put another 40k miles on it before it was totaled in 1999. 300k miles and not a single problem to complain of. These kinds of stories span across all of Nissan's vehicles and engines.

If you go on 4x4parts.com and look in the forums, there is a thread asking how many miles people have put on their trucks. The numbers never stop. 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, 500k, 600k easy.

So I can expect it to last longer than your response huh?...JK... I had a Chevy 4.3, that I bought new go out (with NO warning) at 240k... But they were mostly trailer pulling miles from working it to death. I know about the yotas high mile capabilities, just haven't known anyone with one of these for an extended period of time.

Don't know when, or if the timing belt was changed. Purring like a kitten now, with a new throttle body rebuild and all new senors...best it has run since I bought it more than 2 years ago. I would imagine it would have needed one before now...Right?

If you don't know when the belt was changed, get it done ASAP. Most VG engines meet their death from a broken timing belt than from being worn out.

So I can expect it to last longer than your response huh?...JK... I had a Chevy 4.3, that I bought new go out (with NO warning) at 240k... But they were mostly trailer pulling miles from working it to death. I know about the yotas high mile capabilities, just haven't known anyone with one of these for an extended period of time.

ha yeah. Sometimes I'm long winded. Sorry about that.

Those 4.3s are really good. I love my dad's 2000 Sonoma. It can haul. American cars are confusing to me sometimes. Sometimes they last forever. For example, a person I know, he owns a Shell gas station. this guy has a 2000 Chevy S10, with the 4.3l. He has 624k miles on the ORIGINAL engine. Just about everything else has been replaced, but I think that is a pretty strong statement. I don't want to make this an essay again, but if you take care of anything, it will last forever.

Toyotas are definitely the first thing people think of when you say the word "reliability" or "durable". Sure, they're pretty good. Nissan kinda flies under the radar though. I'm not sure why. My brother has a 1996 Tacoma with 275k miles and counting. Original clutch. My 1994 Nissan Hardbody with 130k miles will double whatever his Taco has when it dies.

there's one of those threads on here too. You'll see a few 300k 400k pathy's on there.

Mines at 256k and I may consider re-ringing it only because it has been over heated half a dozen times in the last 20 years and seems to be consuming oil. But it still runs strong and I know it would easily carry me in to the 300k range with nothing more than routine tune ups and oil changes.

If you don't know when the belt was changed, get it done ASAP. Most VG engines meet their death from a broken timing belt than from being worn out.

Are there any particular warning signs that these things have before they go?...Although I do believe strongly in general maintenance...I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it.

there's one of those threads on here too. You'll see a few 300k 400k pathy's on there.

Mines at 256k and I may consider re-ringing it only because it has been over heated half a dozen times in the last 20 years and seems to be consuming oil. But it still runs strong and I know it would easily carry me in to the 300k range with nothing more than routine tune ups and oil changes.

Your TB thread really help me alot...Thanks for posting all that great info and making it easier on a novice mechanic!

Are there any particular warning signs that these things have before they go?...Although I do believe strongly in general maintenance...I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Not really. Belts aren't like chains that get slack and noisy before they finally let go. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a warning with the belt skipping/losing a tooth, and it will run so poorly that it won't be drivable without a belt change. Most of the time, they just break, and then its rebuild/swap time. Timing belt changes are not that bad, but they do take a while. There are several writeups on the subject on here. Consider a timing belt swap as a preemptive strike for longevity. On your engine, timing belts are only good for 60k miles anyways. If you are shooting for 400k, you'll do this job a few times.

Edited by RJSquirrel

Not really. Belts aren't like chains that get slack and noisy before they finally let go. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a warning with the belt skipping/losing a tooth, and it will run so poorly that it won't be drivable without a belt change. Most of the time, they just break, and then its rebuild/swap time. Timing belt changes are not that bad, but they do take a while. There are several writeups on the subject on here. Consider a timing belt swap as a preemptive strike for longevity. On your engine, timing belts are only good for 60k miles anyways. If you are shooting for 400k, you'll do this job a few times.

Thanks man...I'll swap it as soon as I can then. I want it to last as long as possible.

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge...I always have N.P.O.R.A. if I get stuck!

The 88 we have is almost right at 300,000 miles and still runs incredibly. If these cars had better rust resistance they would probably last forever. Someday I would like to go and by a 2 door model from a very dry climate with no rust whatsoever. Then I'd undercoat and rust proof it like crazy, and I'd be set for a very long time...

The 88 we have is almost right at 300,000 miles and still runs incredibly. If these cars had better rust resistance they would probably last forever. Someday I would like to go and by a 2 door model from a very dry climate with no rust whatsoever. Then I'd undercoat and rust proof it like crazy, and I'd be set for a very long time...

Rust? Really? I see you are also in N.C. so yours must have been relocated. My 87 is rust free, as far as I can tell. It was a 1 owner still in all original condition (no mods or paint) and in GREAT shape except for the dashboard of coarse. I couldn't believe it was over 20 years old when I first saw it.

Rust? Really? I see you are also in N.C. so yours must have been relocated. My 87 is rust free, as far as I can tell. It was a 1 owner still in all original condition (no mods or paint) and in GREAT shape except for the dashboard of coarse. I couldn't believe it was over 20 years old when I first saw it.

Yeah you're lucky to have one in that shape. Originally it was from PA (long long time ago) and it has been to the beach several times which hasn't helped things. Just about all of them at the junkyards are rusted out under the rear seats. If it were me I'd take the one you have and go get it rustproofed somewhere, because eventually you will start to notice rust popping up.

When you do the tbelt think seriously about doing the waterpump also, and maybe the tensioner also. It's a little extra money, but since you don't know if they have ever been changed.

It's a lot easier to change them when you do the tbelt, then it is 6 monthes or a year later

When you do the tbelt think seriously about doing the waterpump also, and maybe the tensioner also. It's a little extra money, but since you don't know if they have ever been changed.

It's a lot easier to change them when you do the tbelt, then it is 6 monthes or a year later

Yeah, I had already thought that I would do them all at the same time...any recommendations on a website for parts?

• 2 weeks later...