How to remove rear spekers 88 Pathy

Path88finder

Welcome to NPORA! You should introduce yourself in the section marked "New People Start Here".

All of the interior panels snap-in with the exception of the two rear upper corner panels at the very back which have one screw each. Look at where the pieces overlap each other and remove whichever pieces are necessary to get the big piece around the pop out window out, it's the one that has the speaker in it. If I recall correctly you have to remove the panel behind that one and the one above the big window, but it's been a while. You can remove the panels by slipping a flat blade screwdriver in behind them and twisting it to pop the plastic fasteners out of their holes. Some of the fasteners will probably break since they are getting old. I snag a handful at Pick N Pull once in a while to replace the ones I break.

Edited by Mr.510

Mr.510 basically covered it other than I believe you have to remove the upper mount for the front seat belts that go through the trim as well (Should be 17mm). Be firm yet dainty as the plastic is 23 years old and does tend to get a little weak. Be slow and patient only doing 1 side at a time so you can use the other as your visual as to how to put the pieces of the plastic puzzle back together

And welcome :welcome:

My suggestion to you is to replace the wiring for the speakers while you are in there. Much better sound quality can be achieved with the new wires they sell theses days and a 30' roll will probably cost around 15$. Have fun and good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to get the panels off to get to the speakers and as mentioned a lot of the old plastic clips snapped. Is there anywhere I can get replacement ones?

Thanks again.

P.s. I will properly introduce myself once I get a change to take a snap of my Pathy :)

Just a note about busted plastic clips . . .

Learned from bitter experience that its better to try and unclip them after the car has sat for a day in a heated garage than to do it outside in -15C, lol!

• 1 year later...

I came to that issue at one point, I got the panels off cut an 8.5" round hole in it along with the metal that holds the speaker, keep in mind the owner before me took all the speakers out except the blown two front ones haha, anyway, I put in one 8 inch round high/low frequency subwoofers with a built in tweeter for the vocals and other than the occasional humming smack I hear on the fender, they sound really good too.

Cheers for that guys, front speakers are done, I just wanted to double check that the rears were 6x9's as my drivers rear (right rear) is crackly, I was actually searching for a rear speaker removal so good thing I found this post.