Sport or touring?

bmcgawain

Ok, what does this switch actually do?

I'm assuming mine is broken cause absolutely nothing happens. I guess I had high hopes of it turning my pathfinder into a super beast...

Maybe I should do a write up when I figure that one out. :crossedwires:

the switch changes the stiffness of the factory adjustable shocks, if your truck still has them. What I did on mine to see if the worked was to open the rear hatch and push down on the truck, in touring (or comfort on some years) the truck should move easily up and down, you can also try rocking the truck from side to side by pushing on the side of the truck near the roof, now put the switch in the other position and repeat the push tests if the shocks are working you should see and feel a big difference.

Yeah I just checked and I have some old looking rough country shocks. So the factory button is useless. So it did this electronically, right? Where are the factory solenoids or whatever type of system it uses? It's not an air system I'm assuming...

Yeah I just checked and I have some old looking rough country shocks. So the factory button is useless. So it did this electronically, right? Where are the factory solenoids or whatever type of system it uses? It's not an air system I'm assuming...

No, it was all electronic. I'm not sure HOW it works, but each shock has a two wire plug. I replaced my rear two, they still work great!, with lift shocks, and now the fronts default to sport.

There are shocks out there that use a magnetic sort of fluid, which puts up more resistance (harder ride) when current is applied, but from what little I found in five minutes on Wikipedia, those are used more in full computerized ride control systems. I'm pretty sure ours have valves somewhere inside that open an easier path through/around the damper, or something. :scratchhead:

i found the full schematic for the system thanks to the FSM that is pinned. Completely electric and it opens and closes a hydraulic valve controlling the fluid. I like the idea of the adjustable feature via console switch and if i had money i would go back stock with them. But for now, i will just paint that switch red and write "Do Not Push" on it. That should make a perfectly good non working switch into a perfectly good novelty switch. *gears turning* maybe connect it to a horn inside the console. that way when other peoples' curiosity becomes too much to cope with....muwahaha!

• Like 1