hood insulation

dkpath96

My '99.5 just returned from the body shop after I did about $4K worth of front-end damage to it by hitting a deer.

When I changed my oil the other day, I noticed there was no hood insulation. I'm pretty sure the old hood had it, but I have to ask - does your R50 have it under your hood? The shop rep was questioning me on that.

Second, is the insulation necessary? There is lots of debate over this on a thread in the WD21 forum, so I thought I'd ask here, as well. Has anyone experienced paint damage (heat) from not having it? Because my new hood was painted at the shop (not factory), is it more at-risk?

Thirdly, this body shop allegedly forgot to replace my hood insulation, but also did not repair the four sheared bolts holding the splash guard (only one bolt holding it on now where it meets the underside of the radiator support bracket), failed to replace the air intake temperature sensor (damaged while they had it - there was no SES light even after hitting the deer), and slapped my broken bug shield back on even though they had a replacement on hand (it's even on the invoice). This suggests to me that maybe I should go elsewhere... am I being anal over this? There was a lot to fix, but really, isn't it their job??

Sorry about the rant.

Well, they should fix what is paid for. If it's on the invoice and it isn't fixed then they are scamming you or your insurance company. Whether or not you keep going back probably depends on whether it is worth your hassle or whether you want them to still be working on your truck...

That shop seems a little shady to me. That being said, I have removed both my hood insulation and my splash guard under the engine bay. I have yet to see any blistering or heat fade on my factory paint job. I would deff point out the replaced broken bug sheild ... those things are pretty pricey!

not going there with the hood insulation yes/no thing as you already know of so probably read my thoughts there. As for the body shop... I would be on them about the marked work that wasn't done and half-fast work that was. You payed (through insurance) to have something done, get it done the way it should!

not going there with the hood insulation yes/no thing as you already know of so probably read my thoughts there. As for the body shop... I would be on them about the marked work that wasn't done and half-fast work that was. You payed (through insurance) to have something done, get it done the way it should!

I'm with Nunya and Sewebster. Sounds like they are screwing you, even though its just hood insulation.

I recently had to have front end work done on my '01 Pathfinder. They replaced the hood, and the new one was complete with the insulating blanket, and even some identification stickers that were on the original hood. I have a brush guard that they fixed and remounted for me as well. Your shop sounds like they did a half-assed job. You should report your dissatisfaction to your insurance company, and find a new shop.

Especially in light of the fact that they had my vehicle for 4 weeks, the last two of which all I heard was "a part is on order and isn't here yet".

How could they miss an SES code after putting it all back together and driving it to the lot??

Anyhow, I'm going to make them do it right, then find someplace else next time.

What gets me is I went with these guys a year ago (when a deer hit ME in the right rear panel) there were no problems whatsoever. Of course, that was a simpler fix.

The shop that fixed mine had to replace the grill, bumper, hood and headlights, and repaint those parts as well as the front fenders to blend it all. They did it all in a week. Car looked good as new when I got it back.