Tension rod bushings replacement pics

ahardb0dy

Finally got around to replacing the Tension Rod bushings today here are some pics,

Pass side:

1z6uwx3.jpg

Pass side shaft, clean:

250mnw2.jpg

Pass side bushings and sleeve:

anypo2.jpg

Pass side one old bushing showing hole elongated slightly:

2h3d1k8.jpg

Pass side old vs new (Moog part):

165e34.jpg

Dr. Side, outer bushing came right off, inner bushing I had to use a meter wrench (from work) to remove the bushing, Sleeve did not want to come off right away but I got it finally:

e8v3f5.jpg

all the cups on the frame mounts were intact and in good shape.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Thanks, I noticed the outer bushings looked like they were all cracked so I figured it was time to replace them, they are probably original knowing my buddy that I bought the truck from!!

Hardest part was getting the 2 bolts in the control arm to line up and taking the rear nut off with a wrench a 1/4 turn at a time took a few minutes.

It's funny I get this deja vu feeling when ever I replace something on the PF, like I did it before..... Probably because I have !! on the ole Hardbody!! LOL

I did the same thing this weekend as well. Mine were in similar shape with the driver side a little more beat up than the passenger side. I used the energy suspension poly bushings and greased them up good with a high quality marine grade grease. The second side went quickly after tightening down the big nut to line up in the two bolts in the control arm.

Next project is the ball joints, tie rods, CL, and IA rebuild, which are all vintage 92. I’ll probably repack the wheel bearings while I’m at it.

Unless you remove the torsion bar, the only thing you can use is a wrench, preferably boxed (24mm). I use a combo of 22mm/19mm wrenches and sockets for the rest.

What did you use to get that big nut off on the end? Regular socket and wrench or impact gun?

I have used a socket breaker bar and also a impact they all work good. I have a slim impact though i dont remember if it was a tight spot anymore or not.

What did you use to get that big nut off on the end? Regular socket and wrench or impact gun?

I was able to get a socket/breaker bar in there for removal. Installation I used a 24mm wrench.

X2 on those being in good shape! Good thing you changed them when you did. By the point I got this far I had to order up two new rods.

I think if you have no lift, the "no tension" position is with the truck on the ground, wheels still on. Getting it off isn't likely going to be the problem... the part that I've found a bit tricky is getting the two bolts lined up between the bar and control arm when reinstalling.

This is how I did mine:

removed center cap and loosened lugs

Jacked up one side at a time under the control arm, I put one of the tabs on my floor jack cradle(not sure what you call it) into the hole on the bottom of the control arm

removed lug nuts and tire

placed a jack stand under the control arm right where the lower ball joint is

lowered floor jack to put weight of truck on the jackstand but left the floor jack under the arm for safety

removed rear nut with wrench, 1/4 turn at a time (15/16"), No way was I getting a socket in that small area !!

removed rear washer and bushing

loosened 2 nuts on the bolts that hold the tension rod to the control arm, I used a 3/4" ratchet I have with a 1/2" adapter that I use as a ratcheting breaker bar

removed the 2 bolts

slid tension rod forward into control arm and removed front bushing and sleeve

the one side the sleeve wouldn't just slide off so removed the tension rod with the front bushing and sleeve still on the rod

removed the tension rod

wire brushed the thread on the 2 bolts and the rear of the tension rod, made sure the surface the sleeve sits on was clean and smooth, wiped the holes in the frame down

reassembled

slid arm back into control arm

placed front washer and bushing on new sleeve in place and held there while sliding the tension rod thru the sleeve thru the hole in the frame mount, you can also put a bushing on the sleeve and insert the sleeve thru the hole in the frame from the rear side than put the front bushing on the sleeve and insert the tension rod thru the sleeve

placed rear bushing onto sleeve

placed rear washer over tension rod

installed rear nut and tightened until nut stopped

I used a screwdriver thru the hole in the control arm and thru the tension rod to stop the tension rod from turning while tightening the rear nut

used screwdriver to line up one of the holes in the control arm with the tension rod hole

installed one bolt and nut did not fully tighten yet

had to pry on end of bar, side of bar to get 2nd hole to line up

installed 2nd bolt and nut

tightened both nuts

double checked rear nut and rechecked 2 nuts and bolts going thru control arm

put tire back on

put lug nuts back on

jacked up truck and removed jack stand

lowered floor jack and removed

tightened lug nuts and installed center cap

went to other side

Edited by ahardb0dy

This is how I did mine:

removed center cap and loosened lugs

Jacked up one side at a time under the control arm, I put one of the tabs on my floor jack cradle(not sure what you call it) into the hole on the bottom of the control arm

removed lug nuts and tire

placed a jack stand under the control arm right where the lower ball joint is

lowered floor jack to put weight of truck on the jackstand but left the floor jack under the arm for safety

removed rear nut with wrench, 1/4 turn at a time (15/16"), No way was I getting a socket in that small area !!

removed rear washer and bushing

loosened 2 nuts on the bolts that hold the tension rod to the control arm, I used a 3/4" ratchet I have with a 1/2" adapter that I use as a ratcheting breaker bar

removed the 2 bolts

slid tension rod forward into control arm and removed front bushing and sleeve

the one side the sleeve wouldn't just slide off so removed the tension rod with the front bushing and sleeve still on the rod

removed the tension rod

wire brushed the thread on the 2 bolts and the rear of the tension rod, made sure the surface the sleeve sits on was clean and smooth, wiped the holes in the frame down

reassembled

slid arm back into control arm

placed front washer and bushing on new sleeve in place and held there while sliding the tension rod thru the sleeve thru the hole in the frame mount, you can also put a bushing on the sleeve and insert the sleeve thru the hole in the frame from the rear side than put the front bushing on the sleeve and insert the tension rod thru the sleeve

placed rear bushing onto sleeve

placed rear washer over tension rod

installed rear nut and tightened until nut stopped

I used a screwdriver thru the hole in the control arm and thru the tension rod to stop the tension rod from turning while tightening the rear nut

used screwdriver to line up one of the holes in the control arm with the tension rod hole

installed one bolt and nut did not fully tighten yet

had to pry on end of bar, side of bar to get 2nd hole to line up

installed 2nd bolt and nut

tightened both nuts

double checked rear nut and rechecked 2 nuts and bolts going thru control arm

put tire back on

put lug nuts back on

jacked up truck and removed jack stand

lowered floor jack and removed

tightened lug nuts and installed center cap

went to other side

Thank you,I appreciate it.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I need to replace mine on my 88. Can anyone tell me where I can find them. Pulling my hair out trying to locate them.

Thanks, David

The bushings or the rods? Rockauto has the bushings cheap (suspension -> strut rod bushings). I've seen them called strut rod bushings, tension rod bushings, and compression rod bushings, so keep an eye out for that if you can't find them under one name. The rods, you might have to try factorynissanparts, courtesy parts, or a wrecking yard. Mine were clean enough to reuse so I didn't have to go down that road.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine didn't look as good as yours. I had to weld a couple bearing races to make mine useable again. Anyway it is often a part that is overlooked when doing the front suspension.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This may be a really old thread, but I thought I would start here to find an answer to my problem. I have noticed several people here using bearing races to replace the bushing cups on their strut rod (compression rod?) assemblies. These have long since rusted away on my vehicle and I need to do the same repair before putting everything else right. My question is what part/part# are these bearing races and where do you get them? Thanks in advance to anyone out there who can help.