Check out my cat

ahardb0dy

Not a kitty cat, my cat converter !! LOL

I thought my sentra sounded different last few months, so I've been meaning to pull the cat to check it and today I finally did. This is what I found, let me know what you think:

input end:

30xjudj.jpg

another pic same:

2mzhz53.jpg

output end:

28mn2ap.jpg

153o5kk.jpg

I had to change the cat on my quest van because of a similar issue. I couldn't use a test pipe because nissan PUT THE DAMN CAT IN THE FRONT EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND WANTED $1400 FOR A NEW ONE! I'd like to thank the Ahole that decided that move! What happened was pieces of the exhaust manifold started flaking off inside, I'm talking large thin layers. The large chips fell on top of the catalyst and melted into a solid plug.

I found a web site that was cutting the manifolds open and replacing the catalyst for around $350. I had to replace the rear manifold too because it was doing the same thing, the rear manifold dumps into the front manifold before the catalyst.

I know it's a pain to pull the manifold to check this but you may want to at least drop the pipe and look inside with a light. You would hate to replace your cat and have it happen again.

James

I put the cat back in, but now I need to find 2 new gaskets, one broke taking it out and the other looks like it is original, the auto parts store didn't have the correct part so I asked the guy to see if he had one that was close. He found one and I bought it but it is leaking. I need to pick up 2 OEM gaskets they really are the best, at least if they still are the same as what I used to get for my hardbody. I had so many problems with aftermarket exhaust gaskets in the hardbody and found the multi layer metal OEM one's were the best. No idea if Nissan still sells that type.

Taking the cat out was fun too, the front 2 bolts came right out with the impact gun but the rear had studs screwed into the cat with nuts on them and had to cut both out with cut off wheel, problem is my compressor does not have the auto off pressure switch on it so I have to plug the compressor in, stand there until it reaches 135 PSI than unplug it, use the air tool (die grinder) than when the air runs out, repeat the process, pain in the butt need to get a new pressure switch and fix the compressor. Took about 6 tank fulls of air to cut the 2 bolts!!

No emission tests down here, and let's just say, the cat is back in the car but it is lighter now!

just killed it's scrap value... prices are currently good and the coin you coulda got would bought a test pipe (which is a strait piece of pipe-cheap) and a fiew tanks of fuel, especially in your sentra.

I couldn't find a test pipe for it. Today I stopped at one of the local Nissan dealers (there are 3 in Orlando) and picked up 2 new gaskets. I think the metal Nissan ones are the best, always had problems with aftermarket gaskets. $21 later.....

I'd definitely be looking for root causes!!

So now is a good time to recycle the cats Nunya? I have two and a pre-cat from pathfinders. I should call around...

B

prices are going to be regional, but pre cats are probably less valuable than the full length one either way :shrug:

ahardb0dy, I agree, if your gonna use gaskets and not just weld everything together I agree, the metal are better than the normal parts store off the shelfers.

:rofl:

It's such bull@!*% how they tack the catalyst right into the engine. Given it's more efficient but it's more damn trouble than it is worth! The engineers that design this @!*% don't have to work on it. Then way to mine the Earth for precious metals just so that some hippy can feel good about a cleaner exhaust. One catalytic converter is good enough!

Pulled the cat back out today after work, sanded the flanges so they were nice and smooth, re-installed the cat with those great Nissan gaskets, started it up, no more leaks!! Nissan gaskets are the best!! Now have to research if I can use the SE-R exhaust on the car to free up the flow a little more.

• 4 weeks later...

:rofl:

It's such bull@!*% how they tack the catalyst right into the engine. Given it's more efficient but it's more damn trouble than it is worth! The engineers that design this @!*% don't have to work on it. Then way to mine the Earth for precious metals just so that some hippy can feel good about a cleaner exhaust. One catalytic converter is good enough!

I can understand your frustration. Most engineering folks are not actually to blame. Most would rather design something that is practical. Management often direct them to make it cheaper or whatever and force them to compromise designs. There are dumb engineering type like there are in any walk of life, but chances are the company they work for places constraints on the design that preclude a practical or user serviceable end product - usually for the sake of cost or time.