Muffler options

Chaser999

So My muffler broke off my truck today and I need some opinions on what to do. What's the cheapest option? Do i need a muffler at all or can i run a straight pipe from the cat? I went to a muffler shop and they quoted the part at 350....yea right. Online i found an aftermarket, OEM replacement for 60 i believe. Any suggestions would be awesome!!! And Im currently driving around with out the muffler on is this bad for back pressure on the engine?

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Edited by Chaser999

So My muffler broke off my truck today and I need some opinions on what to do. What's the cheapest option? Do i need a muffler at all or can i run a straight pipe from the cat? I went to a muffler shop and they quoted the part at 350....yea right. Online i found an aftermarket, OEM replacement for 60 i believe. Any suggestions would be awesome!!! And Im currently driving around with out the muffler on is this bad for back pressure on the engine?

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

get a borla or magnaflow one. Sweeter sound and since you need to change it, you just pay a little more for something better :)

Pathfinders and Maxima's are notorius for rusting at that joint. It is a disimilar metals issue between the stainless exhaust and the non stainless bracket. Any decent exhaust shop should be able to sleeve that back on with a stainless tube for about $80 (at least in NJ that is what it cost). Most of the places I called new exactly what I was takling about when I called. I wouldn't spend money on an aftermarket as then don't tend to last as long.

:yeahthat: Aftermarket units don't even last a year for me. The best thing to do for you is to get that factory unit bolted back up. You can drive around with no muffler and that will have no negative effects on the engine.
  • Like 2

That is just your resonator, there should be another muffler looking thing (the actual muffler just before the rear axle. You can either have that piece put back on (that is what I would do) or you could just have a piece of pipe put out the back.

:yeahthat: The tubing still looks pretty good, it's just the joint that's bad. Although, if you wanted to go aftermarket, this would be a good time.

The lack of backpressure shouldn't hurt anything, but it won't run as well until it's fixed. When I got the exhaust in my 95 all sealed up, it seemed to gain a few horses.

Yea i noticed the other "muffler" looking unit further up. So if I just had a pipe welded on to that and run that to the back I should be ok? That was what i was thinking of doing because it seemed to be the less expensive root. Plus I feel like an aftermarket system would run me quite a bit of cash.

Thanks for all your input!

-Chase

In regards to that other muffler piece, It's still on my truck, just the piece pictured is what came loose. It was held on by those two rubbery looking connector type deals...

I thought it looked like a resonator as well but I have seen actual mufflers like that too. If it's just a resonator then you can definitely just put a pipe and forget the resonator. Make sure the pipe is mandrel bent and not crush bent garbage.

• Like 1

The back pressure wouldn't be a problem, I would worry more about the heat melting the carpet above. As for prices you'd probably pay less to have someone sleeve the 2 pieces back together than to run a straight pipe out. Less material, you have 3 resonators and 1 muffler, the 2 front resonators [these are usually CATs in Cali] (Nissan calls front tube) are also notorious for splitting at the seems, this would be another area I would keep an eye one. Nissan has a TSB out for it.

Went ahead and ordered the part online, 80 bucks for a direct fit replacement. Should take about a week to get here. I figured eighty bucks shipped to my door is worth it and ill just install it myelf. Its two bolts and two rubber hangers.

Im still hoping I'll be able to salvage the bracket on the rear of the muffler. I haven't had time to get back under and check it out. I think with WD-40 and a wrench I;ll be able to get everything on and functional, if not, well I'll just go from there haha

Well, my guess is that your flange is f'd. So have fun with that. If you can still return the part I would. You can fix that for $15 with a piece of straight pipe cut to size and two exhaust clamps. Should take you half an hour (an hour is you only have a hacksaw).

I to am in need of a new muffler, and agree "regular" aftermarket stuff barely last a year or two, especially living here in the rust belt. My exhaust seems to be in pretty good shape except for the muffler. Where can I get a Stainless Steel or better rust resistant muffler with the same size ins and out to mount with my existing exhaust??? Any links, brands or model numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Still haven't gotten around to trying this out. School has been busy but I should be able to get under the truck this weekend sometime. If the rust too much I might looking into returning the resonator and just getting someone to weld up the old one. I'll find out my fate tomorrow I guess....

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Mine broke in that joint on Christmas Eve last year...went to local muffler shop and they make a piece to weld right back in there. Cost me 45 bucks and 20 minutes....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well, long story short, I had the old pipe welded on for 35 bucks and im sending the new piece back (thank god for a 30 day refund policy). Truck is driving alot smoother and hopefully my MPG's will go up. Averaged 11 mpg last tank even though it was majority city. Thanks for all the input, you guys saved me 50 bucks!!