Starter problems? or... ? newbie question

andrewcconti

I purchased a pretty clean 1988 Pathfinder with 170k miles this summer for $1100. Having spent most all of its life in CO the truck is very very solid. I had read these are reliable as a clock so I felt ok with putting another $1500. into the truck to get it running well.

I have changed jobs and my new job requires I drive to Williamsport, PA from Attleboro, MA (400 miles one way) once a month. Williamsport has a bit of a small mountain range surrounding the city and they are known to get alot of snow, I figured the Pathfinder would be the perfect winter transport.

I had a few wet starting issues that a nissan independent was able to track down to a 15 yr old distributor cap that was cracked and arching. (thank's for missing that Meineke).

Now to my latest problem... This morning I drove my girl to school and noticed when I went to start the truck a slight hesitation. I drove her to school, stopped to get coffee and went to start it again and it seemed to pause, rumble and then start up like it was struggling to start.

I drove it home, shut it off and tried to start it again and it stumbled, stumbled and then eventually started, once running it runs fine.

Is this something simple I can check myself? or am I due for a new starter at 170k? If I am in for a new starter any idea what a garage would charge to put one in? I am sooo broke right now.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Is the engine turn over slow at first and then at the last second starts? It could be a starter. It could be a dying battery. WIth the truck off, the battery should be around 12 and half volts. Running 13-14.