4x4 question!

onefast87

i haven't turned on the 4x4 all summer, and yesterday i decide to turn it on. First thing i notice is that the 4x4 didn't come on for almost 200 feet, then when i tried to disengage i heard a really loud cluncking noise, so then i reverse about 15 feet and try again, still engaged and cluncking, so i reverse again it then it becomes dis engaged.

is this a problem with the hubs? i have a 91 se with the autohubs.My truck has been very well maintained.

I don't want to switch to manual hubs, but i will if its needed to make this work again. Im not a huge offroad person, but i use it all winter.

also the price for the warn hubs, it seems like 200$ is what they go for?

anyone have a link on where to get them?

There are lots of places to get warn hubs, you should find them for between $150-200 for a brand new set. I leave mine locked all winter and unlocked when the snow is gone.

I would inspect your auto hubs, it sounds like they are sticky and need a clean and re-lube. Probably nothing wrong with them other than that.

1st there ARE other brands for manual hubs. There's the game of chance finding a set of factory Hardbody hubs, MileMarkers, Possibly Superwinch etc. And yo can always look around here and other Nissan 4x4 sites for pre-owned hubs (I got my MileMarkers dirt cheap from a for sale thread on nissanoffroad.net)

2nd, there IS a writeup around here somewhere for cleaning re-greasing the auto hubs that can help you out some :aok:

I know a lot of people go with Warn hubs but also look at Mile Marker Hubs.

I've had mine for 4 years so far and have never had a single issue with them and they get used all the time.

For the winter i also leave them lock so i can swap right into 4wd if needed.

Once a year i take the hub off to inspect, clean and lube and that's about it.

They run about $80 to $100 depending on where you go.

Here's a link to one site.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/mile-marker-manual-locking-hubs-p-243.html

Edited by wd21overland

I have a few other questions related to the 4x4.

1) what is the fastest recomended speed for 4 low?

2) when offroading is it ok to leave it in 1st or 2nd gear(automatic) while ripping around? kind of like driving a standard? or is the transmission not designed for this style of driving?

1) The speed limit for 4 low should be posted on your visor. I can't remember it offhand, but it's not very fast.

2) You can drive the truck in 1st or 2nd if you want. It won't hurt anything, unless you overrev.

I believe in automatic transmissions there is "slippage" or relative motion between things in any gear but "drive." So long term operation in other gears should be avoided. But this isn't any different than driving your truck around slowly in the lower gears, so it's no worse than that. My parent's 4runner manual tells them not to tow/uphill for long stretches in the lower gear options for this reason. I'm just pointing this out for informational purposes :)