Pillar Gauge Pod

Alkorahil

I'm thinking of ordering Prosport Evo series gauges... any comments?

I want to be able to adjust the brightness (these apparently have a screw to turn on the back) so I don't blind myself at night... I also want to be able to read the oil pressure in the low end (per our discussion above). These have a digital display of the number, so in theory it should be somewhat better than squinting at a needle near zero.

Bonus is they have a celsius water temp gauge for us Canadians :) Not so sure I like the _all_ digital display though, seems like if I turn the brightness down for night, then I might have a hard time during the day... HMMM.

Part of the problem with some of the "good" oil pressure gauges is they tend towards a higher maximum reading (e.g. 150 psi) which makes it harder to see the needle near zero.... and our trucks basically never go above 75, because there is the regulator valve in the oil pump.

I am not personally familiar their products. :shrug:

Easiest way is just to tap into the existing dimmer harness, but you could do that (or go straight off of ignition 12v) and have rheostat in line as well, so then you have the best of both worlds. This is what I have been considering.

Agreed, that's why the gauge I got is 0-100PSI

I finally got around to trying out my guages in the pod. It is quite a tight fit. They will probably stay in there without the little bracket thing. Now just to get around to installing all this :rolleyes:

Yes quite tight. The bottom one I haven't been able to seat all the way. I don't thing the mounting brackets will even clear, but I haven't tried it yet. If I can use them, I will, it would piss me off to have a gauge that drifts every 20-50 miles. :D

No one install one yet? I know I've been lagging, but what the hell? :scratchhead:

B

I removed my old trim piece today... so that's progress!

As for the dimming, I forgot to mention that it seems most of the gauges I'm looking at seem to be LED lit, rather than incandescent, so you can't just put them on the dimmer circuit like usual.

Now looking at Speedhut Gauges too, but they cost more... customizable colours etc for no charge though. Ugh, don't want to spend a fortune :)

We're going out to Pomona next weekend and watch the big boys run will probably pick up the oil and water trmp out there if the price is right, going to try and stay with autometer.

Edited by vagabond

Hmm, now I'm thinking about the Glowshift Max Tow series... dimmable, has digital readout, uses a higher quality pressure sender for oil pressure... if only it were red instead of green... I think I might be obsessing about this for a while yet...

Hmm, so, I'm looking at the back of the gauge pod... and there's like no room in there. I guess we won't be able to use any gauges that rely on a spin on ring to hold them from the rear? Not sure if you could fit those u-bracket things either. To anyone who has installed gauges in the pod... what was your attachment mechanism? Push em in, hope they don't fall out?

Drilled the holes and installed. Bottom hole is a pain. Need to enlarge the countersinks in the pod so the screws sit all the way in. Fit is ok. Definitely a gap on the back side, but I doubt I'll bother fixing it. Might have been able to get the trim to line up better at the top, but it's somewhat difficult to figure out exactly how to drill to achieve that. Colour match is good.

IMGP9810.jpg

IMGP9812.jpg

IMGP9813.jpg

IMGP9814.jpg

the vacuum gauge came in yesterday, so I started playing around with the install, what a pain in the a$$, the vacuum line 2 wires for the senders 2 wires for the lights and 1 switched lead, anyway theyre all in. Now I need the temp and oil gauges and put evrything back together, also going to replace all the vacuum lines.

Oh the autometer vacuum gauge was a very tight fit

Edited by vagabond

There was just about enough room for the vacuum line, I enlarged the hole with a moto dremel. I pulled the instrument cluster,

I ran a wire coat hanger with 80 lb dacron fishing line attached to it through the back of the dash, using a pair of forceps I was able to grab the line. Then I pulled the wires up and through. I used 1 of the screws from the tweeter for the ground wires.

I did the vacuum lines in the engine compartment today and finished the inside wiring. For the lights and switched power feed I tapped into my trans temp gauge that I installed about 6 months ago.

All I need now is the gauges and finish wiring to the sending units

THIS IS FOR A SQUARE DASH

If I keep my 94 I might do it later

I got my gauges all ordered up! hopefully they come soon :-)

how hard is it to run the power and senor wires in that corner?

Here's how to get the wires and vacuum line up there.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34808-vacuum-gauge-install-fuel-saver-style/?hl=vacuum

went out to Pomona yesterday auto meter temp gauge electric $55.00 oil press electric $70.00 and no tax. Will get them installed as soon as I get the vacuum gauge problem taken care of.

And the Forces were out in force, but only Courtney made aqualifying run

well i got my pathfinder pod loaded up with auto meter gauges and some blue leds(match the rest of my dash and clinometer)!

you can also see my pod for my 300zx z31 86 na2t...have the same in my 87 300zx turbo. Love them just to spendy for the pathfinder :-p

2013-02-16_00-34-40_87_zpsaaed2981.jpg

2013-02-16_00-35-23_308_zpse91056a9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

started to install mine...waiting on the temp sensor adaptor...installed leds in the dash so it should all be lit up blue back ground with red needles.

2013-06-02_18-29-21_679_zpsf7fce4fb.jpg

Edited by edicer2
  • Like 1

Holy hell, you put the pillar pod in a spaceship? :ohno01:

Good job, I believe you are the first to finish the install (or at least the first to talk aboot it). I love it that you have a boost gauge as well. Did you get that idea from me or was it just parallel thinking?

B

I had all these from one of my two 300zx z31 turbos that i had kept around from when I upgraded to digital AEM ones ha so it worked out well but I think you have the same ones right? Autometer?

Edited by edicer2