Pillar Gauge Pod

Alkorahil

I have the plastic (Nylon?) tubing run into my car for my oil pressure gauge, I don't worry about it, have it covered with wire loom, for anyone worried about running tubing they also have copper or even braided line that can be used instead. I also like that even when the car is off the gauges still register, well temp anyway.

Precise1, when you inquired about the autometer gauge accuracy, was that for the electrical gauges? I wonder if the mechanical gauges have the same percentage of accuracy??

Edited by ahardb0dy

For most instruments, the accuracy is given in a percentage of full scale. So, if someone told me they had a 100 psi gauge with 5% accuracy, I'd assume that it was the reading, plus or minus 5 psi. Which is pretty terrible. Now, that's not what they said, but I'm not sure I trust them :)

But, for an automotive gauge like this, it isn't exactly super critical most of the time.... actually, it's the other thing they said that I don't really like... "above 5 psi." That's my problem with my current gauge, at very low pressures it's basically meaningless. It essentially says zero from 0-15 psi. I'm guessing the autometer one is at least a little better...

Most mechanical gauges use a bourdon tube design. If you buy an industrial style one you'll have a hard time finding something worse than 2.5% accuracy* (of full scale). So for a 100 psi gauge that's plus or minus 2.5 psi. They make them to much better accuracy as well, but usually only in larger dial sizes (where you can actually it read accurately).

* Actually, they are most often quoted as 3-2-3%, which means they have 3% accuracy in the lower third of the scale, 2% accuracy in the middle third, and 3% accuracy in the upper third, all of full scale.

I was thinking of getting a stainless braid covered teflon line, even then I'm a little worried about the tube failing, not any time soon, but 10 years down the line or something, because that will be a bad day....

I understand exactly what you are saying, and I did catch the above 5psi part too. The range I'm looking at is above 9PSI at idle, up to 53-65PSI at 3,200RPM. At 9PSI they claim accuracy within +/-.45PSI. I'm not going to be concerned if I read 8PSI on the gauge, but I will if I see 5 so it should still work sufficiently for me.

All I can say is that I'll check it out and give you my feed back. I do have a compression gauge somewhere so maybe I can take some readings with that.

B

• Like 1

Got mine today, nice blue match, I liked it. :clap::)

Although not a fan of the holes I have to do...

Hi Teixeira,

Can you please show me a picture of the Blue one you received. I have a Blue interior trim color and I would like to see how they look like installed please.

William

Hi Teixeira,

Can you please show me a picture of the Blue one you received. I have a Blue interior trim color and I would like to see how they look like installed please.

William

Yeah, sure. Tomorrow I'll post some the pics. ;)

Updated. You haven't gotten yours yet Dowser? :scratchhead:

B

Well, I'm not entirely positive yet. I called the company that holds packages for me near the border and they told me a package has been their since Dec 17th. Soooooo That seems like it's too early to be one of theirs. But who knows, perhaps they sent one to me without notifying me that it was sent out to give me a preview of what the final product would be before the shipments to everyone were sent out. Regardless, I wasn't sure if it was from them or from some other odd and end I might have bought over the past few months. I'll know soon enough. I'm going to have to go over there sooner or later.

alabama_lowlife

scoobysmak

Have received theirs.

Yeah, play it safe by all means! I'm not an expert painted plastic but there has to be something for this application. What about a clear coat from a spray can?

Oddly enough, my unpainted one is glossy black.

B

Ok here are some pics (pod just held in place by hand over the old one). Colour match looks pretty good, but its hard to tell by headlamp, have to see it in the day for the final verdict. Generally fairly pleased so far! Colour looks great in the one pic and a bit off in the other, but hard to get the lighting right.

IMGP9804.jpgIMGP9807.jpg

I finally got around to trying out my guages in the pod. It is quite a tight fit. They will probably stay in there without the little bracket thing. Now just to get around to installing all this :rolleyes: