Pillar Gauge Pod

Alkorahil

Looks nice, can't wait to have mine. Not liking the idea on drilling new holes but have to have it on my hands.

My dash is square and also don't have the voltimeter... but I have a Diesel, different dash.

You get to calibrate it prior to install. It is also a vacuum gauge, so it will function the same as yours, but have the benefit of saying BOOST on it to confuse people. :D

Ah, makes sense to go for the voltmeter then if you don't have one at all!!!

Exactly. I almost put in an amp meter since I have a winch (to install) a 1000 watt inverter (to finish installing) and hopefully a second battery as well. If I find I need one, then I'lll find a spot or replace the vacuum depending.

B

Im thinking Voltmeter, Transmission Temp, and Oil Pressure..

Someone mentioned Autometer Z-Series....that does look like the way to go. I only want to run wires, not tubes so Electrical sending units are a must.

I did a search on Summit for Black, Black Bezel, 2 1/6" Electrical Sending unit, and these are really the best options (that look decent)

I would LOVE 270degree sweep for the added resolution, but those gauges are like $150 each....so a good compromise:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2645/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2634/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2640/overview/

I agree with only wanting to run wires, although with the boost/vacuum gauge I have no choice. At least it wouldn't make a mess if it leaks. :shrug:

I own all of the gauges you listed now, but if you want another one, here is a slick place to mount a gauge in a 1994-1995. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/24503-auto-tranny-temperature-gauge/?hl=%2Btranny+%2Bfilter

Read the whole thing to note that I had to shift the placement down 1/4-1/2 inch for clearance when mounted.

These gauges look closest to stock (modern dash) and are a decent value IMHO. :aok:

B

Just an FYI on electrical sender oil pressure units. I own one (a cheap "Equus" brand)... and it's terrible.. it is not accurate. It does go up and down as the pressure goes up and down, but you can't trust what the numbers say.

If anyone knows of a source of electrical oil pressure gauges that have a rated accuracy, I'd be interested. I deal with pressure gauges at work all the time, and they have all kinds of accuracy ranges, but none of the automotive ones seem to say anything other than "very accurate."

The one I bought actually had two outputs, one for the gauge, and one for the dummy light. Except that the dummy light signal came on at around 12 psi... so it was coming on a lot for me, even though idle oil pressures below 12 psi are fine for the VG30E (8 psi is the normal value, it's in the FSM). Obviously you can just use the stock dummy light sender on a tee to solve this problem!

I was going to put in an industrial gauge using an oil filled line, but they don't come in the automotive 2 1/16" size. Might just make a 2" one fit...

I wanna say the stock dummy light is dangerously low... I've seen it a few times and my engine is pretty wore out because of it. (that and other things)

Yeah, I agree. At one point I tested mine and I think it only turned on around 2 psi or something. But having it too high is also useless, because then you just end up ignoring it. I think something like 6 psi would be good, but I'm not entirely sure how the "normal" oil pressure varies with VG30 age etc etc.

This is all part of why I want an accurate gauge...

• Like 1

I agree with only wanting to run wires, although with the boost/vacuum gauge I have no choice. At least it wouldn't make a mess if it leaks. :shrug:

I own all of the gauges you listed now, but if you want another one, here is a slick place to mount a gauge in a 1994-1995. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/24503-auto-tranny-temperature-gauge/?hl=%2Btranny+%2Bfilter

Read the whole thing to note that I had to shift the placement down 1/4-1/2 inch for clearance when mounted.

These gauges look closest to stock (modern dash) and are a decent value IMHO. :aok:

B

They do make Electric Boost/Vac gauges but they cost 3x as much because not only do you have a stepper motor in the gauge that runs off of MAP signals but you also have to hook up a (usually expensive) MAP sensor to your intake.

I like wired only gauges but for IMO true vac line is the only way to go for a vac/boost gauge

Just an FYI on electrical sender oil pressure units. I own one (a cheap "Equus" brand)... and it's terrible.. it is not accurate. It does go up and down as the pressure goes up and down, but you can't trust what the numbers say.

If anyone knows of a source of electrical oil pressure gauges that have a rated accuracy, I'd be interested. I deal with pressure gauges at work all the time, and they have all kinds of accuracy ranges, but none of the automotive ones seem to say anything other than "very accurate."

The one I bought actually had two outputs, one for the gauge, and one for the dummy light. Except that the dummy light signal came on at around 12 psi... so it was coming on a lot for me, even though idle oil pressures below 12 psi are fine for the VG30E (8 psi is the normal value, it's in the FSM). Obviously you can just use the stock dummy light sender on a tee to solve this problem!

I was going to put in an industrial gauge using an oil filled line, but they don't come in the automotive 2 1/16" size. Might just make a 2" one fit...

This was the response I got this morning about the Autometer Z-series #2634 oil pressure gauge.

Hello.

Anything above 5 psi is + or - 5%.

Thank you.

Cory

Tech/Service

Auto Meter Products

413 W Elm St.

Sycamore IL 60178

1-866-248-6357

That's not too bad, actually. If the gauge reads 20PSI, it is between actually 19-21PSI; plenty good enough for me!

I wanna say the stock dummy light is dangerously low... I've seen it a few times and my engine is pretty wore out because of it. (that and other things)

I have no faith in idiot lights. Old skool I guess. :shrug:

B

I just dislike running tubing into the cabin. :shrug:

If you see the idiot light your too late...

Or at least in significant trouble. I can stomach running out of volts a whole lot easier than running out of oil pressure.

I don't understand why they got rid of these gauges. Maybe most people don't get it or care, but enough do to factory install them. My old D720 had them...

B

I just dislike running tubing into the cabin. :shrug:

Or at least in significant trouble. I can stomach running out of volts a whole lot easier than running out of oil pressure.

I don't understand why they got rid of these gauges. Maybe most people don't get it or care, but enough do to factory install them. My old D720 had them...

B

Never knew how important dash mounted volt meter could be until my CJs speedometer cluster burnt out with my alternator at the same time.

Maybe if these pods are still around in a few years I can get for another pathy...

Edited by 92Path_68CJ