Pillar Gauge Pod

Alkorahil

You know, I thought it was going to have the same clips to mount in place as the original to be honest. I was unaware it was going to be a pre drilled screw in type installation. Hmmmm, I haven't received mine yet since i opted for paint, but you can count on me to be brutally honest with my opinion when it comes, especially after all the time I've spent on this project. I hope these really work out. It would be a shame if everyone is not pleased with the final outcome.

Mine came yesterday. The only concern I have is that the gauges won't have enough to grab on to when installed... But I don't have any to try out just yet. I'm not complaining, I'm actually pretty excited about this. Thanks again Adam!!!

The holes measure 2.02"-2.04", but there is little lip on one side of the bottom 2 holes. Hopefully everything will line up correctly. I have yet to order my gauges, perhaps today. Hopefully I can refrain from putting in a boost gauge... :lol:

B

I knew they would mount like this should of asked ha i have one in each of my z31 300zx's and they are exactly as described above ha i was able to add another screw carefully between the gauges. my gauges on my 300zx ones fit so tight i dont even add the back clamps on them and i have never had one budge they fit so tight! i am just hoping the colors match that is all im worried about it didnt matter on my z's since the interior is black

The holes measure 2.02"-2.04", but there is little lip on one side of the bottom 2 holes. Hopefully everything will line up correctly. I have yet to order my gauges, perhaps today. Hopefully I can refrain from putting in a boost gauge... :lol:

B

Well, maybe the bottom half of a boost gauge?

Vacuum gauges can be handy at times, and they make a great space filler if you don't know that to put for your #3 gauge.

I plan on putting a "fuel saver" vacuum gauge in my wife's truck along with her new vg33+ so she knows how much she's putting her foot into it.

(its not more fuel efficient if you drive it faster lol)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2337/overview/

AM-2337.jpg

Calicraig has received his and he said it should only need a bit of heat to get it to fit perfect. He's also going to fit in a 3rd screw in the middle someplace as well. Maybe heat is all thats needed to close that gap on the underside. :shrug:

Well I drove over this afternoon to Orange county and picked up the one the 3xbrits ordered for their 96, think I'm going to try and either epoxy or try some plastic welding and add the top and bottom clips plus the screws. Gauges, oil pressure for sure, maybe a vacuum guage to remind me to keep my foot out of it, and prob a water temp I've never trusted my temp gauge'

Overall it doesnt look bad, we'll see how it goes

Calicraig has received his and he said it should only need a bit of heat to get it to fit perfect. He's also going to fit in a 3rd screw in the middle someplace as well. Maybe heat is all thats needed to close that gap on the underside. :shrug:

Thatis my intent as well.. heat to close the gaps :aok:

Well I drove over this afternoon to Orange county and picked up the one the 3xbrits ordered for their 96, think I'm going to try and either epoxy or try some plastic welding and add the top and bottom clips plus the screws. Gauges, oil pressure for sure, maybe a vacuum guage to remind me to keep my foot out of it, and prob a water temp I've never trusted my temp gauge'

Overall it doesnt look bad, we'll see how it goes

Plexus, if you can get some. Good stuff, it's used to hold the grills (metal mounting clips) on the fiberglass hoods of Kenworth trucks.

Post #10 updated

Thatis my intent as well.. heat to close the gaps :aok:

Plexus, if you can get some. Good stuff, it's used to hold the grills (metal mounting clips) on the fiberglass hoods of Kenworth trucks.

Post #10 updated

Thanks I'll look around and see if I can find any

well the speaker grill is going to have to be modified or it sticks up about a 1/4 inch, the gap at the top possibly could be covered if you slide the pod up as far as it will go, also I think it will be solid enough with just the 2 screws, also the bottom screw hole can be a bitch to drill.

When I get the guages in I'll possibly try and heat the panel to form it a little better, its not that noticable with the door closed.

Of course no one here in town had an oil pressure or electrical temp gauge so I'm going to order them on line.

All in all I think it going to be ok

• Like 1

th_004-Copy.jpg

B

I installed a vacuum gauge today (no fancy pillars here) and had to take this guy off to route the hose. I noticed my stock one also has a slight gap in the same place. But only 1/8 at the widest spot.

th_Gaugeinstalled_zps376d375d.jpg

they also sell fittings like this on acadianasportscars.com that is where I get my vg30 and 33 z31 parts! (says page not found just click the logo at the top) go to engine and click z31 you will see the fitting at the bottom..lots of other vg30/33 goodies on there

Edited by edicer2
  • Like 1

A little update, it looks like trying to go off of the stock mounting points is pointless. Even with some threaded clips, things just don't line up as you can see.

013-1.jpg

The bottom is a hook and hard to get to and the top is just an inch or so away from where they pre drilled. I'll be using some sheet metal screws and lengths of hose or tubing as a stand off, just trim to length needed. ;)

I plan to use the 2 pre-drilled hole locations and put the third one right where my thumb is. This will firmly support it and close up most of the gap.

This is what mine will look like

011.jpg

Haha!! I got my BOOST gauge! :rofl: I'm just interested in the vacuum portion and what that will tell me, and try to keep it between 10-20 IN/HG to play with mileage. Still, I have a pillar pod gauge in my pathy that says "BOOST". This f-n cracks me up! :D

I don't like the visual obstruction, but it isn't extreme AFAIC. I tend to move around while I'm looking so it negates most of the dead spot. Once the snorkel is in place, it'll be a moot point...

So far so good, but let's see what fun routing and splicing in will be.

B

Those look great, B. I have the same volt meter to install. Would you mind sharing the model of the oil pressure gauge you have?

I really didn't want to drill holes in my truck but I guess it wouldn't impede putting the stock trim back on if I decided to sell the vehicle.

Edited by adamzan