SE owners - What's you gas mileage?

shaggy

I just drove to Colorado over Christmas. I have 31" tires on my SE and it's off a 10th of a mile according to the mile marker. 1 mile according to the mile markers is 9/10s of a mile on my odometer. According to my gauges I get about 14mpg. Haven't bothered to figure out what it really is now that I know my odometer is off. Ether way it's way lower than I'd like. Need to figure something out. Might be due to the 222,000 miles I have on the engine. But then again I have a feeling something is still not right that can be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With my 1998 SE 5 Speed 4WD and stock 265/70/R15 tires I get about 17-18 mpg on my commute to work which is about 8 miles each way, mostly highway. I definitely noticed a drop in mileage during the winter time, compared to summer time. Possibly the different blend in the fuel and the fact that my engine barely has time to warm up on the commute each way. In the summer time on the highway not going over 65 mph I have gotten around 22-23 mpg on long trips.

• 11 months later...

I was getting 15 MPG on the highway with my mobile weather station mounted on the roof. Since I dumped some techron in the tank and took the mobile station down to reduce drag, I've noticed a jump up to 17.5-18. I plan to clean the MAF soon too, so hopefully that'll get me to between 19-20 on Hwy and 18 around the city. Would be nice to get 400 miles out of a tank again. I do need to check the speedometer though, I set the cruise at 70 on an hour long trip on the highway and passed 2 cars, and had dozens pass me (mind you, the speed limit was 65) so either everyone was in a rush or the speedo is off. Need to check on that.

I've taken the Pathy to 100mph and likely beyond that on a few occasions. Not for long though, usually less than a half minute. Ive cruised at 85mph for miles with no issues, so long as your tires are properly balanced. If I'm in a fuel saver mode, then I keep it no higher than 68-70mph or under the 3k RPM mark.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the tach on the dash show the actual engine RPM's or is it showing what its calculated to be at in a certain gear at a certain speed? Reason I ask is because if my speedo is off, I'm not sure if my tach is spot on either then.