87 twin turbo sas 1 inch lift...

Rusty's Offroad sells the sleeves for Jeep lower control arm bushings. These bushings can be had for under 10 bucks each and are the standard 2.6 width (will not work on stock Pathy mounts). I had some leftover 2 inch D.O.M. laying around... so why not...

100_1976800x600.jpg

100_1977800x600.jpg

Yes they are lower links. These joints flex fairly well for years on the front of bone stock Jeeps. Every parts store carries them for a reasonable price..

With my garage needing to be storage..some of misc stuff needs to be thinned out. These chunks of tubing were left over from my ever-going buggy project. It is paid for and just laying around so why not put it to use. This axle and tubing puts a big dent in the pile...

Edited by AK9849cy

Tried and true....

Are you keeping the stock frame mounting locations or did you already cover that...

What kind of shocks did you run up front? I realize it is a preference thing, but they look like the Fox air shocks.

Did you have to adjust your caster (via cutting off the knuckles and repositioning them 5 degrees or whatever you chose and welding them back) ?

Oh yea.... what gear ratio did you end up going with on the axles...

I assume the rear h233b is a 4.62 gear?

And you are putting the 44 under the rear which has r&p's readily available...

What has me stopped at this point is simply gearing. I can go either 4.56 or 4.88 in my 44 front...but the rear (h233b) is stock at 4.62... an Xterra third member will go into it, and if I could source a r&p from one in the 4.90 gearing they are known to have then I would run 4.88's in the front... leaving me close enough to not worry about it.... Now the same could be said with the 4.62 and 4.56 combo but it is farther apart than I would like....

sorry, I am rambling.

Edited by tmoore4512

Tried and true....

Are you keeping the stock frame mounting locations or did you already cover that...

What kind of shocks did you run up front? I realize it is a preference thing, but they look like the Fox air shocks.

Did you have to adjust your caster (via cutting off the knuckles and repositioning them 5 degrees or whatever you chose and welding them back) ?

Oh yea.... what gear ratio did you end up going with on the axles...

I assume the rear h233b is a 4.62 gear?

And you are putting the 44 under the rear which has r&p's readily available...

What has me stopped at this point is simply gearing. I can go either 4.56 or 4.88 in my 44 front...but the rear (h233b) is stock at 4.62... an Xterra third member will go into it, and if I could source a r&p from one in the 4.90 gearing they are known to have then I would run 4.88's in the front... leaving me close enough to not worry about it.... Now the same could be said with the 4.62 and 4.56 combo but it is farther apart than I would like....

sorry, I am rambling.

They will be located on the inside of the frame.. Like my Red Pathy was. The axle mounts are mounted inboard a bit if you look. Nothing has been done frame side so far.

The Front shocks are Rancho 9000's

I may have adjusted the caster... don't remember.. this axle has been laying around for years.

I will end up with 4.88's for now.. just because they are here. The axle actually has 5.38's in it at the moment. We'll see what this V8 wants. I would like to run down the highway at 1500 rpm...

The 233a is 4.3ish

In the past I just changed out the carrier in the xterra third member.. run the X with the 31 spine carrier. Then the pinion depth can be left alone. Just make sure the backlash is the same.

Edited by AK9849cy

So I was looking at the thread where you were talking about re doing the upper mounts with the same length as the lowers... "Bang for the broke" I believe? Anyway, is that the red Pathfinder that you refer to?

I am actually looking at deleting the factory mounts and moving them inside the frame on a truss of sorts, I have seen Daver123's design and it looks promising.

Rancho's copy.

Caster copy.

So when you are talking about gears, are you referring back to the 44, or the 233? If you have 5.38's for a 233 and plan on going with a 4.88 send me a PM, I will buy the 5.38's from you...bt if your like me you will hang on to em... understandable.

Searched all the local yards, and drove 40 minutes due east to a few more with no luck on any 4.9 X gears... Will probably end up just running the stock 4.62 with a 4.56 in my 44.

There is no such thing as 5.43's for the 233.

The 233 is a sweet axle.. but with the limited resources it has I normally switch rigs over to something else. This current build will have Dana 44's front and rear.

I am however helping someone build a 4 door frontier that will keep the 233. They will be running 5.13/5.14's with a 63 wide hp 44 up front.

My red pathy was...

NPORA-TOTY-2006.jpg

Edited by AK9849cy

I must have missed something... I thought you said 5.38 was the ratio... AC has 5.57 for the 233... just not cheap.

Either way, your red pathfinder is or was nice. The rear flexed like crazy... articulation city...

No the bang for broke was for this one he's doing now. Things changed when he had to get stuff out of storage and had an axle dumped in his garage. Originally it was going to be rocking the stock suspension with identical size lower and upper arms.

The suspension on the rear of the Red Pathy was a completely different build with different expectations then this one. The rear was built up using the lower arms as Uppers, and new lowers that were twice the size for maximum droop. The Rear had a 3" Body lift and he had a new coil and shock mount bar that was welded in 3"s higher off the frame to accommodate much longer shocks, springs for much more articulation. Obviously a new crossmember was created to allow the modified drive shaft to not touch as well. That build was probably the sickest Articulation on a 4 Door Pathy with such a low COG anywhere in the world in my opinion. Was very cool. I was so sad to hear of its inevitable demise.

Edited by Dowser

Thank Dowser!

That rig was my first successful build. It ran for a few years then got the wild hair to cut it in half and tube it out. Needless to say the city and HOA got after me with a court date set... So it ended up getting crushed to fend them off...

It was defiantly my champ of the ramp build.. however it did make me realize that the extra weight of an SUV holds a guy back on the crazy stuff. My current wheeler (the HB) goes beyond the pathy in all ways when it comes to wheeling. The loss of probably 1500lbs makes a total difference...

• 1 month later...

Yea....I gotta get u to make me a set with unccpathfinder...but id need to figure out the dimensions for a flat rate shipping box....if I get lucky ill get on a trial between now and 2013...just closed on a house so this is progress slowing and then eventually picking back up...and since I work for bad boy buggies now ill prob end up building a mini buggy at home if i can get a decent price on a used one

Maybe get them mounted/cleaned up before Moab... Wonder if the clock could be stopped for a couple months..

100_22851024x768.jpg

I really don't have a need for sliders but I could go for a set of those.

James