Anyone changed out bushings in their 4 links?

mattyrides07

If you are going through the pain of removing the links yourself the bushings are a minor inconvenience in comparison. I think each bushing took me 10 minutes to remove, I just used a press to push the rubber out (it just ripped off of the sleeve every time), put the link in a bench vice and use a sawzall to cut the sleeve. It comes out easily after that.

And I don't know for a fact but the polyurethane bushings you can buy online are apparently stiffer than the rubber bushings in stock links, making the suspension feel a lot tighter.

CHEERS! That's to all that responded! I was thinking what they were saying was "bravo sierra".

Any idea what the difference is between these two:

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-complete-trailing-arm-bushing-kit-p-6250.html

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/complete-pathfinder-split-design-trailing-arm-bushing-kit-p-6244.html

Edited by mattyrides07

Red ones are a 2 piece system that does not need to be pressed in. Black ones are 1 piece which need to be pressed in. The red ones are nice and super easy to install

They still have the red ones that need to be pressed in, for those stubborn people...

are the dorman replacement arms any good? seems like a lot of money for poly bushings.. $225 wow (I'd prefer 1 piece), should be able to get all the arms from rockauto for the same price. wonder if I can find some johnny joints that fit.

Edited by xplitive

I had a local off road shop press out the old ones and install new poly bushings. They had a lot of trouble getting out a couple of them. Nissan is correct that it is a major pain in the ass.

If you don't want poly bushings then it is easiest to replace the entire control arms. Don't go with the dealership though, try rockauto or a different source as they will be substantially cheaper. Pressing out bushings requires a hydraulic press (which I do not personally have access to). Replacing with new control arms is something you can do in your driveway fairly easily with air tools, or still somewhat easily with hand tools.

I got the ones that needed to be "pressed in" from another member that never used them, and I just used a vice with lots of grease and it popped right in.

Are you calling me lazy? I'll have you know I replaced the bushings on all four links in my 2001...:beer:

I had a local off road shop press out the old ones and install new poly bushings. They had a lot of trouble getting out a couple of them. Nissan is correct that it is a major pain in the ass.

If you don't want poly bushings then it is easiest to replace the entire control arms. Don't go with the dealership though, try rockauto or a different source as they will be substantially cheaper. Pressing out bushings requires a hydraulic press (which I do not personally have access to). Replacing with new control arms is something you can do in your driveway fairly easily with air tools, or still somewhat easily with hand tools.

They didn't use their brains then. It really is quite simple if you follow the procedure I posted above.

you can do it with the right tools in 15 minutes per bushing.. here is my ol dpost that I did long time ago...

---------------------------------

Jim at rock spyder 4x4 in markham, ON, recently did my link bushings and showed me how easy it is, with off course, the right tools...

Here's summary

1) do one link at a time

2) torch the rubber bushing

3) use a zip gun to remove the sleeve

4) use a air sander to clean the inside of the link

5) use a peice of tubing, a socket and a press (or a vise) to insert the new bushing

6) re-install the link but do not tight the bolts..let very loose

7) once all bushing replaced, VERY IMPORTANT, drop the truck on ground, then proceed to tight all the links.

some video of 1 link being done in 15 minutes.... amazing how a job can look easy when you have the right tools...(and experience)

Torch:

http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/steve_fleury3/front-locker-bushings-shocks/?action=view&current=CIMG0574.mp4

zip them:

http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/steve_fleury3/front-locker-bushings-shocks/?action=view&current=CIMG0579.mp4

sandpaper the link:

http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/steve_fleury3/front-locker-bushings-shocks/?action=view&current=CIMG0581.mp4

insert the new bushing:

http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/steve_fleury3/front-locker-bushings-shocks/?action=view&current=CIMG0583.mp4

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

If you don't use a press then you will put a lot of effort into changing them. I had access to a shop press, but even before I started, another Tech suggested I use an air hammer....Why would I use an air hammer when I have a press. Some people just prefer the hard way I guess.

I did the bottom 4 bushings. OE bushings. Set each end on a socket that's large enough to grab the eyelet of the arm and let the old bushing fall into it. use another socket that exactly the same size as the sleeve of the bushing otherwise you'll just push the rubber out. The first couple pumps it should *snap* when it breaks loose after being in the arm for 20+ years, but it should come pretty easy after that.

Just out of curiousity, what is the advantage of Poly bushings? Someone mentioned it feels "tighter" could someone expand?

Also, what is the usual service interval? I have 91k, am I getting close to replacement time?